Barcelona Travel Answers

change location
arty_girl's Profile Photo

Suggestions for a young couple's holiday in traditional Spain

by arty_girl Online Now Jan 23, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Hi there!

My boyfriend and I are planning to go to Barcelona this summer, however we don't particularly want to stay there for the whole time (possibly a few days) Where would you recommend that is near to barcelona ( and the airport) that isn't hiving with your general tourists? I'm a spanish speaker and neither of us are into the whole binge drinking and tourist infested package holidays! We're there for sun, culture and on a relatively tight budget (We're students!)

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • frachal73's Profile Photo

RE: Suggestions for a young couple's holiday in traditional Spain

by frachal73 Online Now Jan 23, 2007 at 1:42 PM

Don't miss Girona (jewish quarter), Banyoles (the lake area),Tarragona (Roman city) and Sitges (nice beach resort near Barcelona). A day trip to the Delta de l'Ebre is also interesting. For nice fishing villages and beaches just get lost in the area of Begur, Tamariu and Calella de Palafrugell, in the Costa Brava.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kbr61263's Profile Photo

by kbr61263 Online Now Jan 23, 2007 at 1:47 PM

• arty_girl's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Suggestions for a young couple's holiday in traditional Spain

by arty_girl Online Now Jan 23, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Thank you both!

• MaheshSamtani's Profile Photo

Suggestions for a young couple's holiday in traditional Spain

by MaheshSamtani Online Now Jan 23, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Drive down south to Valencia, one of the most exciting cities in Spain. On the way you drop by many interesting places. The cheapest way, if you choose to do so would be by car dring the coast on the non - toll roads. If you still have some time left and some cash to spend continue dring south towards - Denia - Calpe - benidorm and Alicante., Drop the car there any fly home from Altet airport in Alicante.
    Whatever you choose to do - have a great time
    Cheers
    Mahesh

• RE: Suggestions for a young couple's holiday in traditional Spain

by philmccullough Online Now Jan 24, 2007 at 3:59 AM

Hi , Take a trip to Sitges. Only twenty minutes from Barcelona. Cost about seven euros return. Beautifull town with nude beaches and very economical. Njoy. Phil

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Jan 24, 2007 at 10:24 AM

As Francesc pointed out, Tarragona is a wonderful city (I spent nearly 10 months there). It has some Spanish tourists, but not many foreigners go there, so its not overrun. It is 60 minutes by train from BCN airport. Delta d'Ebre is a quiet get away. Some people love it, others don't. But it is a good place to go if you are into bird watching.

If you are going to seek some culture, I'd stay away from Sitges and Salou. Both have history, but have grown into spring break vacation spots.

by arty_girl Online Now Jan 24, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Myself and my boyfriend were lookin through all your comments again this afternoon, we really appreciate your help. We're gonna stay on the outskirts of barcelona and travel into the center each day by train I think... Just need to choose a hotel now and actually book everything!

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Jan 25, 2007 at 2:20 AM

I love Sitges... in winter :)
    I agree it's overrun by tourists, but the old towm may deserve a visit, it's beautiful and have some interesting buildings and a couple of small museums you will like to visit and learn more about the local culture (most tourists just stay at the beaches... buy the way not all are nude beaches, only the most distant. However, as nudism is alloved in all Spanish beaches, you can find someone nude anywhere)

If you get to the next town, Vilanova i La Geltru, you'll find excellent beaches, local culture, an interesting medieval quarter (La Geltru), great food (and less overpriced), less tourists than in Sitges. Have a look here:
    vilanovaturisme.net/en/html/...

And as said above, Tarragona is nice and most local tourism there. Delta del Ebre... it depends on your tastes. I like it for a quiet day, but not much more.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

by fairy_dust Online Now Jan 27, 2007 at 3:17 PM

If you like mountains, go to Monserrat. It's absolutely beautiful and you can take the subway from Barcelona to get there. When I went, we planned on spending only a few hours in Montserrat, but loved it so much that we stayed all day and only went back to town in the evening!

by Belsaita Online Now Jan 27, 2007 at 7:53 PM

I agreee with Montserrat being a beutiful place (not just the monastery, the lanscapes are unique), but you cannot go there by "subway", it's about 60 Km far away from Barcelona!
    You can go with regional train, and in Monistrol de Montserrat (or nearby, I can't remember now the details) take the funicular or the cable car up to the monastery. Once at the monastery level, you can take another funicular to Sant Joan mountain, with impressive views. If you like walking, the way down to the monastery is really nice but it will take you about 2-3 hours. There is a very interesting art museum as well.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

by fairy_dust Online Now Jan 28, 2007 at 10:55 AM

I thought it was possible to go by subway? When I went, we got there directly from a subway station in Barcelona (can't remember which one) and it took a long time to get there. Maybe that was the regional train... do some non-subway trains run from subway stations?

by Belsaita Online Now Jan 29, 2007 at 6:30 AM

Subways in Barcelona only go underground :)

You had to take the regional train (FGC) at Pl Espanya station (that it's an underground station). You can use the FGC trains to move around the city using the same tickets as metro and buses, so probably this was the oringin of your confusion. Of course, to get to Montserrat is a different ticket, and more expensive than moving from A to B within the city limits.

This make me reminder where you can find the info for the trip to Montserrat:

fgc.es/accesible/eng/viatjar...

I think the best option is the Trans Montserrat combo tickets:
    Includes train + rack train + funiculars + audiovisual show
    Price 19,50

Nuria is another nice option for a daytrip, easy to go there by train as well (in this case you should use RENFE trains from barcelona to Ribes de Fresser and tehre take the rack train to Queralbs and Nuria). I did this last summer and it was about 22 euros return combo tickets:
    www.valldenuria.com

• jhoolko's Profile Photo

by jhoolko Online Now Feb 28, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Try Cadaques, Dali's birthplace, for a quiet fishing town about two hours north of BCN. There are some hostels there and it seemed fairly quiet, relaxed, and very romantic when I was there.

by arty_girl Online Now Feb 28, 2007 at 1:33 PM

thank you!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines