Barcelona Travel Answers

change location

Excursion along the coast (east)

by Hedap Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Hi community,

during my trip in Barcelona I would like to get in touch with the region around Barcelona - in this case with the coast in the east of the city.

I realized that there is a railway along the coast until Blanes. However, on Renfe.com it says that there is at least one train a day along that way. Is this right?
If yes, is there another way?

And on the other hand: Is there any daytrip in the hinterland of Barcelona/along the coast (walking would be fine) you can recommend?

I would be really happy about your recommendations!

All the best from Germany!

-Hedap

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • WomBatt's Profile Photo

Re: Excursion along the coast (east)

by WomBatt Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Only because I know the RENFE site and network - renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercan...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Hola Hedap,

Yes, there are trains along the coast up to Blanes, but RENFE.com is one of the worse websites ever! This line belongs to the Barcelona's Rodalies trains (local, commuter trains) so it does not appear when you do a general search in renfe.com. You have to go to the "Cercanias/Rodalies" section in renfe.com:

Or, better use the much more user friendly (and with English option) Rodalies section at the Catalonia's governement website:

www20.gencat.cat/portal/site/rodalies

There are ''many ''trains per day, every 30 minutes or so, from around 6am to 23pm.

There is another train line going North of Barcelona, more inland, that may interest you too, as it goes to a few interesting towns, the best known being Girona and Figueres (you can visit both in a daytrip, visiting the Dali museum in Figueres in the morning, o you can spend a full day in Girona, it is well worth it)

Alternatively, there are bus lines connecting Barcelona with most of the towns in the Costa Brava, including some interesting ones not in the train line (Tossa de Mar, Begur, L'Escala, CadaquƩs...):

www.sarfa.com/paginas/interurbano_buscador.php

Regarding walking, you can virtually walk all the coast both North and South of Barcelona, using the old "camins de ronda" (watcher's trails). The most scenic parts are up the Costa Brava, especially its most northern part (less touristy and less spoilt, but this may be too far away for a daytrip). However, the walking path around Blanes is quite nice in parts and you can visit the Marimurtra botanic gardens. Another path suitable for a daytrip may be walking from Lloret to Tossa. If you can allow an overnight, maybe Roses or Portbou, or Cadaques.

You will find more info about walking, and many other activities in the area here:

en.costabrava.org/categories...

Bon viatge!

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Excursion along the coast (east)

by Hedap Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Hi Belsaita,

thank you so much for your reply!
    It is good to hear that I just choose the wrong website (I thought renfe.com is like an offical railway-website for Spain). So,I now have a lot of ideas owed by you :-) .

I'm looking forward to my visit in Barcelona.
    -Hedap

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Mar 31, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Thanks for saying thanks!

Actually, you did not choose the wrong website. Rodalies regional trains are operated by RENFE. Its just that Renfe.com website is very poorly designed and not user-friendly at all.

Happy planning! :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines