Barcelona Travel Answers

change location

loca

by ang4819 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Hi,

Any suggestions for good local restaurants? Don't want to be caught in tourist traps. We are looking for good local eats at moderate prices. We are renting an apartment in La Rambla , but my guide book says to stay away from the overpriced touristy restaurants in that area.

Any help on ANY does and don'ts would be greatly appreciated.  We like to experience the local culture as much as possible.

Thanks for your help!!

T

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: loca

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I would also check out the huge indoor market just off Las Ramblas. We walked through, but only after lunch and didn't get back to try it out.

"Stroll Through St Josep La Boqueria" - Mercat Boqueria Tip by riorich55

• cadiana88's Profile Photo

by cadiana88 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I suggest you Mikel Etxea 1, located in the Gotic District (Address: Ferran 15, 08001)

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

There are many restaurant that are a tourist trap but has good food as well that even the locals still eat there. Just stroll the side streets one evening down Ferrin street and tuck inside. Some of the plazas are great outdoor restaurants . I forgot the name and there is all ways a long waiting list, but tourist as well as locals were dining there as well as myself. Further tuck in the sides streets to the right you will find many family restaurants with rotisserie flaming the roast meats out doors. Again the names of these restaurants eludes me but was great. I did take some pictures, to pot on VT, but never got to it. Nyway, I found them by walking and exploring. A good stroll will help your appetite too. I will look for the info, and maybe post later okay?

Cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

There are many restaurant that are a tourist trap but has good food as well that even the locals still eat there. Just stroll the side streets one evening down Ferrin street and tuck inside. Some of the plazas are great outdoor restaurants . I forgot the name and there is all ways a long waiting list, but tourist as well as locals were dining there as well as myself. Further tuck in the sides streets to the right you will find many family restaurants with rotisserie flaming the roast meats out doors. Again the names of these restaurants eludes me but was great. I did take some pictures, to pot on VT, but never got to it. Nyway, I found them by walking and exploring. A good stroll will help your appetite too. I will look for the info, and maybe post later okay?

Cheers tommy x

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

by akkipaa Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM

How about "Les Quinze Nits" have you visited there lately. It's some time ago I was there, it was very popular, loooong queues on the evenings and the price / quality was really good. The place is in Plaza Reial (in Las Ramblas).

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

by Belsaita Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Regarding "Les Quinze Nits" in my opinion does not deserve queuing for it. Decent but not so special pre-cooked food, served as if they were making you a huge favour... ok, its cheap. Its part of a chain (all food made in a central kitchen). Other restaurants from the same group, with same kind of food and prices and less queues (and slighly better service as they are not so crowded) are La Polpa (Enric Granados, 69) or Market (Comte Borrell, 68, in the hotel of the same name)

Anyway, from La Rambla you will be 10 minutes walking to El Born, the area of Raval around the MACBA, near Plaça Universitat... So, hundreds and hundreds of options!

Some places I like, walking distance from La Rambla (without special order):

- Teresa Carles (Jovellanos, 2): vegetarian, but you do not need to be vegetarian to enjoy it.

- El Drapaire (Sitges 11): a basic place to have a typical torrada (tomato bread with something on top: cheese, sausages...)

- Candela Raval (Salvador Seguí 13): a funky, informal place

- Fidel (Ferlandina 24): this one is worth to queue, always full of locals waiting for its excellent sandwiches

- Imprevist (Ferlandina 32): traditional food and tapas with a twist. Not cheap, but still affordable.

- La Veronica (Rambla Del Raval 2) for pizza

And, do not forget the excellent food you can get at the markets. As you're renting an apartment, you can cook your own food, but as well you can buy local dishes, already cooked, to take away. Do not miss La Boqueria as suggested by riorich55, El Quim and Pinotxo do serve excellent food (not cheap but for a good reason). You will find other stalls serving several foods you can take to your apartment. As well, do not forget you have other city markets, not as known as La Boqueria but with about the same offer and less touristy. Santa Caterina market is not far from La Rambla too, and well worth a visit.

You will find more restaurant reviews on my Barcelona VT page, many not in the area you're staying, but some in areas you may be visiting at some point:

Barcelona Restaurant Tips by Belsaita

Bon profit!

2 members found this helpful

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I agree if going for first time La Boqueria is a must. the idea of going to destinations and see the tips by posters like us or hit our names and go into our pages, plenty of tips already here in VT.

I am not into the Ramblas much as I prefer Exaimple area by passeig de Graçia.
    hope it helps

• SANDYKAT's Profile Photo

by SANDYKAT Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I've been to different areas in Barcelona and mostly had great food. In Catalunya main street, we ate in 2 diffeent restaurants which were amazing and not expensive. Go to the ones where you see it busy with locals and sitting around the tapas counter and I don't think you will go wrong. Unfortuanately, I don't remember the names. Watch out for salt-baked fish dish. It is delicious but had no price. The fish for 2 plus a litre of Sangria set ups back €100!

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

by Roadquill Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

One of our favorites is Orio Eudkal Taberna on calle Ferran near the Cathedral in the Gotic area. Last time in Barcelona the two of us went one night and enjoyed it so much we went back a couple of nights later with the rest of my wife's family and everyone loved it. Karl

• lisselleC's Profile Photo

by lisselleC Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We stayed in an apartment a couple of years ago and shopped in the markets for food. We also sampled the wonderful food in the Bistronomic restaurants in Barcelona - all were good!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines