Barcelona Travel Answers

change location
Archway's Profile Photo

Girona - Barcelona Bus & Train Information

by Archway Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for reliable information about bus services between Girona and Barcelona. I would like to take a day trip from Girona to Barcelona on Wednesday (or Thursday) this coming week. I would like to leave Girona at about 07:30 - 08:00 and return to Girona no later than 20:00 - 20:30 (i.e. depart Barcelona 17:30 - 19:00).

I have found some information on the Girona Airport website, but it appears to be unreliable/out-dated.

Can anyone please give me the name/names of companies offering bus services between Girona and Barcelona?

I know of Sagales, which appears to run a service called the Barcelona Bus. Confusingly, the run a service from Girona Centre (08:45) and Girona Airport (08:45) and a service from Barcelona to Girona Centre (17:30) and Girona Airport (17:30). Which would the better service to get?

Some websites state that you can buy the tickets on the bus, others state you can't. The Sagales website has information on where to buy a ticket in Barcelona, but nothing about Girona. Where can I buy a ticket in Girona Centre or the Girona Airport?

Would the train be a better alternative? I am somewhat concerned about taking a train because some friends have told me that Spanish trains and frequently late and considering I only have seven or eight hours at most in Barcelona, I don’t want to be delayed because of problems with the trains.

I looked at the Renfe website, and couldn't quite work out the different prices on offer. I've been told not to take a regional train. I know they take longer, and I don't mind that. The regional trains appear cheaper and I have to keep an eye on the budget.

For information, I have visited Barcelona in the past, so it is just to reacquaint, not to really visit the numerous tourist sites.

Many thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: Girona - Barcelona Bus & Train Information

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I would take the train. Spanish trains are modern, clean and (in my experience) punctual. The only issue is that RENFE is not very good at making the public aware of this, nor of selling tickets online.
    They also have about the worst website of all European railways (except maybe the Bosnian one...)
    Go to www.renfe.es, click on "welcom" and then click on "purchase".
    You'll find different categories: "Regional" and "MD" are local and limited stop local trains resp. and you buy the ticket at the station, and hop on.
    Then there is the high speed train. The confusing thing is that RENFE offers two high speed services, "AVANT" and "AVE" on the route, but these are actually the same trains. Just a different brand and price. So regardless of wether you buy an AVE or AVANT ticket you will travel on the same train.
    I would buy an "AVANT" return ticket for 25,10 and not worry about delays, as RENFE high speed trains are very punctual. This ticket is a normal return ticket which you can buy at the station or the ticket machine, and where you can change the return trip to another train if you fancy staying longer...
    I

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Belsaita's Profile Photo

Re: Girona - Barcelona Bus & Train Information

by Belsaita Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Hi Archway,

Last year, some regional trains suffered delays due to building works in the lines. Other than this, actually Spanish trains tend to be very punctual so I guess your friends where just unlucky.

This is what most of we locals do when traveling from Barcelona to Girona (and I assume the same in the opposite direction): we just head to the station and buy a ticket for the next regional train.

Regional trains are slower than the AVE/AVANT but cheaper. Besides, with regional trains you can leave the train at Passeig de Gràcia station, in the very city centre. AVE/AVANT trains only stop at Sants main station in Barcelona, so you need to change to metro/local train to reach the city centre. So, when you reach the city centre, most time savings using the fast train are gone (and with more hassle)

I never used the buses, for me it makes little sense, as bus takes the same time as the slow train but paying more, and there are less buses per day than trains. Besides the buses from Girona stop at Estacio del Nord and this is less convenient for me, but depending on where you are going in Barcelona it may be a good option. There are 2 companies linking Girona and Barcelona www.sagales.com and www.alsa.es
    Just be sure you choose Girona Centre, not Girona airport.
    You cannot pay at the buses from/to the airport (the only ones I used) so I guess its the same for the others. You pay and get your ticket at the station booth.

In Girona, bus and train stations are one next to the other.

Bon viatge!

1 member found this helpful

• Archway's Profile Photo

by Archway Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Thank you very much for the information. It is extremely useful. It's more likely that I'll take the train.

I actually prefer to travel by train, but because of what I had heard about the lack of punctuality, Ithought a bus might be better.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by Belsaita Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You're welcome Archway! Have a great trrip

• eledav's Profile Photo

by eledav Online Now Apr 13, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Take the bus from the airport straight to the station "Nord" in central Barcelona and the same to go back (25 Euros).. check timetable as they have a scheduled departure.. they don't sell in advance or online.. you just has to buy the ticket and be there... be careful because there are buses that go to the main airport as well and you don't want to go there.

by Belsaita Online Now Apr 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM

The original poster is asking about transport from Girona town, not from the airport.
    (pointing that in case anyone else who may be reading this thread in the future gets confused)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines