Barcelona Travel Answers

change location

FAMILY HOLIDAY

by p.dhal Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Taking the family to Barcelona in July 2013 for 10 days. We want to split our time with 5/6 days at a beach location, self catering, within 45 mins train away (were not looking to do car hire) and the rest centrally. My question really is does anyone have advice for a good location outside Barcelona for families with some kids activities & a few things to do, we want to chill really but don't want our 5 year old to be bored. We don't really like too-built up areas but need a few amenities. We are flying to BCN central so can take train. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Re: FAMILY HOLIDAY

by adelinemmc Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Hi there!
    Estartit, along the coast towards France is a nice place not too far. It's a relatively big coastal town but the centre is quite small, it has beaches, amusement parks on the outskitst (I think even a mini-kart circuit), a protected marine area in the Medes islands. Lots of scuba diving operators, they probably do snorkelling trips too.
    Plenty of ice creams parlors and restaurants too without feeling that you are in a massive touristy place.
    Check it out.
    A

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I never went, but my spouse spent some time in Tosa and loved it. Don't know if that meets your needs.

• isa50's Profile Photo

by isa50 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Hi. Estartit and other locations in Costa Brava could be great for kids, swimming and diving, but there is no train station near the beach.

You could choose instead Vilanova i la Geltr├║, for example, where you have the beaches, the train station (with trains to Barcelona every 20 minutes or so) and a village with a lovely old town.

If you arrive to Barcelona by train, you can take the train to Vilanova i la Geltru in the same central station of Sants.

1 member found this helpful

• beluja's Profile Photo

by beluja Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Hi,

If you want a peaceful place 45 min. from the city, St Pol de Mar, Malgrat or Santa Susanna are the best choices, and not the more expensives. All of them are little towns on the beach and are ideal for families with children. Not far from these towns there are are two aquatic resorts. You can go there by train (a traint at least every 30 minuts from the center of the city).
    I hope yuu will enjoy jour holidays in Catalonia!!!

by adelinemmc Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Very true! To Estartit you need the bus instead and it takes longer than 45 mins. I had overlooked that important fact!

• beluja's Profile Photo

by beluja Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Hi,

If you wanna go from airport to these towns I said, you can take the train from airport to the Barcelona "El Clot-Arag├│" Station. Then change of platform in the same station and take another train to Sant Pol, Malgrat de Mar or Pineda. I specially recomend you Sant Pol, because that is a little peaceful town with small hotels, ideal for families with children. Not far away from these towns you have two nice resorts for children: The acquatic park "Isla Fantasia" illafantasia.com/default.php... and the Zoo-Acuapark "Marineland" marineland.es/marineland/cat....
    If you wanna go to the center of Barcelona it takes only 30-40 minuts by train and most important, there are trains every 30 minuts!!! If you need more info you can ask me more! See u!

• beluja's Profile Photo

by beluja Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I saw your profile. In catalonia you can get a decent baguette, moutarde or cornichons, and of course, a decent wine with a good price!!! ;-)

by adelinemmc Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Hi Beluja
    Yes, indeed! In fact I was in Barcelona very recently and ate very well. I did not bring back cornichon, mustard or baguettes but delicious cakes, turon, olives, crema de almendras (sugary but sooo good) and various tins of goodies.
    Going back in September!
    A

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines