Barbados Travel Answers

change location
Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

Camouflage clothing?

by Heavens-Mirror Online Now Aug 14, 2006 at 10:53 AM

Hi there
i recently read in a holiday brochure that it is illegal to wear camouflage clothing in barbados. Can anyone explain why this is?
Do they mean you couldnt wear combat trousers and things like that.

xx

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

RE: Camouflage clothing?

by YVRDave Online Now Aug 14, 2006 at 11:41 AM

Who's brochure? I am piqued!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Camouflage clothing?

by Heavens-Mirror Online Now Aug 14, 2006 at 11:52 AM

The thomson faraway shores

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

by CliffClaven Online Now Aug 14, 2006 at 12:03 PM

Yes, it is an offence for anyone, even children to wear camouflage clothes in Barbados.

But then old Cliffie wonders why anyone would want to.....

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

by Heavens-Mirror Online Now Aug 14, 2006 at 12:07 PM

i jsut found it to be weird thats all.. im not saying i would wear a full outfit lol..
    but why do they find it offensive.
    x

• YVRDave's Profile Photo

by YVRDave Online Now Aug 14, 2006 at 12:08 PM

Maybe Gang related

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

by CliffClaven Online Now Aug 14, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Is it any more illogical than banning hooded garments, as some supermarkets have done in the UK?

• Sunniebgi's Profile Photo

RE: Camouflage clothing?

by Sunniebgi Online Now Aug 16, 2006 at 4:57 AM

the law is in place because military style clothing, camouflage mainly, is reserved for the military. it has nothing to do with gangs or hooded clothing etc.

it is in place because the government only wants military personal wearing this style of clothing.

Don't wear it, don't bring it.. just leave it at home.. doesn't matter what colour it is. pink, blue etc.. and especially green and khaki.

• stiab3's Profile Photo

by stiab3 Online Now Oct 24, 2006 at 2:47 AM

As sunnie has said. It's so that only military personnel are going around dressed as such. Nothing to do with gangs etc.

s3

• Sunniebgi's Profile Photo

by Sunniebgi Online Now Oct 27, 2006 at 3:12 AM

funny story.. My Barbadian sister in law who has lived in the US for over 20years, has just purchased one of my daughters and one of my nephews clothes with camoflage designs. hers are pink and blue and his are traditional green. The funny thing is she knows you can't wear it when you arrive into Barbados, but she didn't think about wearing them everywhere else.

So now my daughter has 2 shirts and 2 pair of pants in camouflage material that she is only going to wear at home..

• stiab3's Profile Photo

by stiab3 Online Now Oct 27, 2006 at 4:32 AM

The kids wouldn't have been allowed to wear them anywhere else on the island either.

I wouldn't even bother to wear them around the house as you never know when you may have to leave home in a rush and I wouldn't want to have to stop to consider if I'm wearing illegal clothes everytime I left home.

s3

• RE: Camouflage clothing?

by momof4 Online Now Mar 3, 2007 at 8:19 AM

I just googled about the camouflage clothing issue and came to this site. We just returned from a cruise which stopped in Barbados. Not to correct prior answers but it is absolutely ILLEGAL to wear camouflage. It's not a matter of who would want to - for those people with those comments, they mustn't have children; go to the clothing department in any store and you will many, many different colors designs that all the kids love. Back to the issue - upon arrivel in the area to meet with our tour group, we were stopped and treated in a very horrible manner. My 10 year old daughter had on shorts and a tank top over her bathing suit. They told us we needed to get her "out of those clothes or to leave immediately!" I said "you must be kidding", they were not - since she was in her bathing suit we had her undress and wrapped a towel around her and then purchased a t-shirt to cover her until we reached the sail boat. The girl in the store told me that at some point (I dont' know how recent) a "gang" stole military clothing and were impersonating military men and then were robbing banks. I can respect their feelings for their law, but I don't think that as a foreigner in their country we should have been treated in such a nasty way. So as somebody said before - DON'T BRING IT, DON'T WEAR IT!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Barbados Travel Answer Locations