Bar Harbor Travel Answers

change location
bjpreston59's Profile Photo

Bar Harbor in September

by bjpreston59 Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 6:32 AM

My husband & I are planning to be in Bar Harbor for 3 nights in Sept. I am trying to find a place to stay with the best value. So many places are so expensive. We don't need luxury, but do like water view and clean accommodations, and convenient location.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Bar Harbor in September

by goodfish Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Hi - we spent a week in Bar Harbor a few years ago - end of Sept/beginning of Oct. so at the end of the tourist season there.

Your challenge here is that you want too much for too little. Bar Harbor is a popular destination so to get a nice view of the water plus a convenient, in-town location, you're going to pay a premium. We had the same problem and ended up having to give up the water view and a location right in center of town BUT in the end we were happy with our choice.

Bar Harbor Motel is on the edge of town and offers very clean, spacious accommodation for a fair price. They are right on a shuttle stop that goes into town, or you can make the very short drive. (#3 on Trip Advisor)

So, you might want to take a look at the Trip Advisor listings for reviews and approx. costs.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g6070...

I see that Moseley Cottage and Town Motel is getting good ratings and is located right in town - but no water views. They offer parking - which is a plus in downtown Bar Harbor.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...

Atlantic Eyrie is also getting decent reviews, and I'd be sure to request an ocean view. You would be outside of the town center here as well.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 7:39 AM

We stayed at the Seacroft, as Kate (Goodfish) mentioned, it may be that the places with sea views command higher prices than what you are willing to pay. The Seacroft didn't have ocean views but it was very convenient to walk to town or to walk to the ocean. Here's a link to their TA reviews and to my review from several years ago.

Bar Harbor Hotel Tips by Dabs

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM

This one looks pretty good too, if you like B&Bs:

You'd need to request a harbor view.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM

,> location, location, location...that is why it is expensive....if you knock out the water view it could be cheaper in the many B and B's in Bar Harbor,

cheers tommy x

• ricky52's Profile Photo

by ricky52 Online Now Feb 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM

The price quoted may also reflect the fact you only want to stay 3 nights.
    Stay for a week and it could be cheaper.

• Re: Bar Harbor in September

by mame45 Online Now Feb 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM

The Bar Harbor Kennel Club is very good, and very reasonable. They have two accommodations on the island, one in Bar Harbor. Very home-y. Our dogs loved it there. Google 'bar harbor kennel club facebook', click on the 2nd entry, and up comes the BHKC's facebook page.

• Re: Bar Harbor in September

by mame45 Online Now Feb 15, 2011 at 5:16 PM

We like the Shore Path Cottage B & B, and the Hollyhock B & B, both in Bar Harbor.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines