Baños Travel Answers

change location

Trouble In Banos?

by stephenpriddy Online Now May 23, 2006 at 3:29 PM

I´m on a 10 month trip round Latin America and just arrived in Ecuador. All been ok so far but my family back at home are getting a bit worried as apparently an english woman tourist disappeared in banos a few months ago and had her bank account cleared. Does anyone know any more about this ie what happened, where she was staying when it occured? I´m not too worried but just curious...

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • BIW's Profile Photo

RE: Trouble In Banos?

by BIW Online Now May 23, 2006 at 6:13 PM

Here you go Stephen. Unfortunately it's true, though I'm sorry to say that in my opinion it happens a lot more than what we hear about:

timesonline.co.uk/article/0,...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SanguiniA's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Trouble In Banos?

by SanguiniA Online Now May 26, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Yep, such things are sometimes happening in SA countries. But you have much more of a probability of a car accident in your home town than this - it is a cliche to say, but hey it's true!

The only trouble in Banos at the moment is the Tungurahua volcano ... heard that it is a bit more active than usual. Do yourself a favour and just check the conditions just before you go.

• marie&ariel's Profile Photo

by marie&ariel Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 1:26 PM

Like in any place...please be aware of your surroundings. Watch out for people that look shady. Don't flash money or expensive jewelry, computers, etc.
    You will be fine!

• RE: RE: Trouble In Banos?

by stephenpriddy Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 3:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I was in Banos for 2 days and really liked it and had no trouble at all. Speaking to the locals they said the only place for trouble is sometimes up on the hills where people do occasionally get robbed but as long as you dont take anything valuable with you, you´re fine. Nice place for relaxing!

• BIW's Profile Photo

by BIW Online Now Jun 24, 2006 at 8:13 PM

It happened to me.

• BIW's Profile Photo

by BIW Online Now Jun 24, 2006 at 10:14 PM

Your sarcasm is well noted.

• BIW's Profile Photo

by BIW Online Now Jun 25, 2006 at 7:36 AM

So just so you have 'clarification' you respond by being sarcastic or ignore the fact that you may be touching upon something very personal or sensitive to an individual? Hmmm....

Ok, well disregarding that for the moment I suggest you read the bottom of Virtualtourist's home page and the horrible untimely death of a member recently. At the time of her death she was involved in researching (and actively opposing) children being kidnapped and used in the sex slave market. If you do further research you will find that it is estimated that 1-5 million children a year are sold or kidnapped, etc. per year. These children, by the way, include teenagers and young adults. Do you hear much about this happening on such a grand scale?

As another example you know the ridiculous emails you get from Nigeria saying that someone wants to 'share' a deceased's fortune with you? No way any half-way intelligent person responds to that, right? Go do some research on it (you can start with the home page of the FBI)and you will find out that it is estimated that between350-500 MILLION dollars a year is sent to these people. More unfortunately, however, is that for some that are duped to going over to Nigeria, or wherever, they disappear and yes, there have been some whom have been killed.

From my personal experience, which I won't go into, I have done research and talked to authorities (local police, etc.) and found that there are scams which exist that are targeted to foreigners and which involve such nefarious characters such as the local mafia. There have been times, I was told, that when the scams go bad, the victims are severely beaten up or killed.

So there are my 'facts' which cause me to say that I think it happens more than the general public realizes, or thinks about. Does that mean it is 'unsafe' to go to Ecuador or elsewhere? Of course not. I have been there and it is a wonderful country. It just means to be careful- whether you are in Ecuador or New York. The disappearance of Natalie Holloway doesnt make Aruba an unsafe place at all. But you have to wonder how many more people around the world who arent middle or uper class and white have suffered similar circumstances- and we haven't heard about them at all.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Baños