Baños Travel Answers

change location

Is Luna Runtun really so bad?

by PaulineB Online Now Sep 29, 2005 at 10:39 AM

I read a posting on here about a bad experience at Luna Runtun - have other people had good experiences? I am planning on staying there later in the year. Also does anyone know the best place to get a taxi from Quito to Banos - obviously I want to pay the lowest price possible!

Thank you

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • timmy1975's Profile Photo

RE: Is Luna Runtun really so bad?

by timmy1975 Online Now Oct 3, 2005 at 3:05 PM

A taxi from Quito to Baños? If price is an issue, you can take a bus for four bucks.

Ecuador is a very inexpensive country with amazingly friendly people and a varied cuisine (some of the best simple seafood in the world, in my opinion.) You might want to come down off the hill and enjoy it.

Obviously, I've never stayed at Luna Runtun (a Swiss-run chalet on a ridge far removed from the city of Baños, with international chefs and European accomodations,) but it sounds awful to me. Avoid at all costs.

I reccomend Hostal Plantas y Blanco which has private rooms for 7 bucks or a dorm bed for4 in a room that smells like feet.

I also know some good nearby cities to watch cockfighting.

Hope this helps.

-tim

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Xfranco's Profile Photo

RE: Is Luna Runtun really so bad?

by Xfranco Online Now Apr 24, 2006 at 8:20 AM

At the risk of sounding like a vacationer (as opposed to a genuine backpacker), I'd would like to say that I'd give Luna a ringing endorsement. I stayed there about a year ago and found that the place has a certain charm that more than justifies the premium you pay. It is located away from the city, but the city is but a 7-10 minute cab ride down a proper road. I would, however, recommend refraining from travelling up this road late at night. The road that leads to Luna winds up and around the mountain and is, in fact, precariously narrow and at night fog tends to severly limit visibility. Hope this helped.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Baños