Banjarmasin Travel Answers

change location
HaoleMan's Profile Photo

Going upstream from Banjarmasin

by HaoleMan Online Now Oct 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I have many questions, and would welcome contact with locals from the area. I am still doing my research, but it looks like I must go to Kalimantan! I am a diamond miner. I dig. I do not work for any company, only myself and the miners who chose to be partners with me. I am very good at what I do, but the diamond fields in Arkansas, USA, are used up.

do the miners in Kalimantan still find good stones? Do they get good prices when selling? My buyers in USA pay from4-$20 a point [400-2,000 a carat] They want me to go to Kalimantan and dig the way we do in the USA. It is a very productive way to work.

Are the mineral rights in the ground held by property owners or the Indonesian government? Will the local miners work with an American? I am not rich. I work very hard, and very smart. Is it difficult to get government work permits for an American?

Are there many crocodiles in the rivers? Are there many poisonous snakes? Are the fish good to eat?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pangaeatours's Profile Photo

Re: Going upstream from Banjarmasin

by pangaeatours Online Now Oct 29, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Hello
    If you try to do it legally it wont work. Visa on arrival is good for only 30 days which can be extended another 30. To work in Indo you need a Kitas which is expensive and takes about a month to get. You also have to be sponsored by a company which for you would be a mining co. A flight will also cost about1500. Not a good idea if you dont have much money. There are crocodiles in the rivers not that many anymore and many venomous snakes. You should be more worried about the mosquitos which kill more people every year than eiter of the former. The fish are very good to eat. Indonesia is very difficult to work in. If you still want to try it start learning the language you will need it.
    Brian

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pPamela's Profile Photo

Re: Going upstream from Banjarmasin

by pPamela Online Now Oct 31, 2010 at 2:59 AM

Hi,
    Suggest you have a read of this website to get some idea of what you can expect in Indonesia besides the good indications the previous poster wrote.
    http://www.expat.or.id/
    Pamela

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Banjarmasin