Bangor Travel Answers

change location
goodfish's Profile Photo

Hotel/Motel in Bangor

by goodfish Online Now Apr 29, 2006 at 6:39 AM

Hi - we'll be hiking Acadia end of Sept. and flying in/out of Bangor. Will be staying there one night on the back end due to early morning flight time and need a reco for a good hotel/motel. There's not much for reviews on the VT site so would love to hear from a regular traveler to the Bangor area. I know, one night shouldn't be a big deal but had one really lousy experience with an airport hotel in Vegas (filthy/unsafe/everything broken/noisy/not cheap) so would like to end this trip on a higher note. We don't need fancy - just clean, reasonably comfortable and close to the airport. Being able to load/unload the car directly into the room (lower level rooms with direct entrance) would be great so we can throw stuff in the car in a hurry - no stairs or elevators. Any ideas?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: Hotel/Motel in Bangor

by joesorce Online Now Apr 29, 2006 at 11:14 AM

Avoid the Travelodge or Days Inn, and Maine in summer can be very overpriced so book early and go for the lowest rate. Definitely book a non-smoking room, I don't know what it is about New Englanders but they DO love to smoke in their hotel rooms! Well, I guess they can't smoke outside for many months of the year, right?

We like the Best Western White House but it is about a 10 min drive to the airport. It's behind the famous Dysart Truck Stop (open 24hrs) with interesting characters and huge menu of surprisingly delicious food including Maine seafood. Great to have that one-last-taste of fresh catch at 11pm the night before your flight!

Anything on Odlin Road is close to the airport...the Howard Johnson has some small rooms and might not be able to guarantee non smoking so you might want to avoid that one too, but generally you will find nothing up in this neck of the woods that compare to the filth around the Vegas airport.

Super 8 may be the best bargain that you find and is generally clean and acceptable.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Hotel/Motel in Bangor

by goodfish Online Now May 1, 2006 at 5:22 PM

Thanks Joesorce!. Filth in Vegas? That isn't even the word - we were only there because we had to fly in and out. Ugh. Anyway, I did look at White House and thought it was farther out than we wanted to be but good seafood? Hmmm - might have to reconsider. Super 8 also had some decent recos on some other sites (funny - that chain almost never does) so might lookat that too. I know high season is busy so we already have our week on Mt. Desert booked but will get moving on Bangor ASAP. Thanks again for your help!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines