Bangkok Travel Answers

change location
Pearie's Profile Photo

Contact for reliable and friendly English speaking cab driver

by Pearie Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:00 AM

I am going Bangkok for the first time and the hotel quoted me 2000 Thai Batt for Airport Transfer! I would like to take a cab..anyone has a friendly and reliable cab driver to recommend? Can I have the contact please...?

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • stamporama's Profile Photo

Re: Contact for reliable and friendly English speaking cab driver

by stamporama Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Have you checked whether your hotel might be near a BTS or MRT station? If it is, then just take the Airport Rail link instead of a cab. Or if there's none, then it would still be cheaper to get off at the station nearest your hotel then take a cab to your hotel from there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tenluk's Profile Photo

by tenluk Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Take the airport Rail link then find hotel near by the public transportation like bts, metro or river taxi.
    It is easy to go around in this city

• Pearie's Profile Photo

by Pearie Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Hi, Yes my hotel is near a BTS station but because we are 2 females travelling with big luggages, we thought it might be better to get a cab. :) We are arriving at 7pm at night so we are not sure if taking the train would be safe when we are carrying so many things.

• stamporama's Profile Photo

by stamporama Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM

If you prefer a taxi from the airport then just go to the taxi counter after emerging from arrivals. The price quoted by your hotel probably refers to the hotel's limo service which is why it's costly.

• tenluk's Profile Photo

by tenluk Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 3:27 AM

decision is in your hand,costly more convenience or do it yourself take a taxi then show the address in Thai language.

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 4:43 AM

You will have no problems with taxi directly at the airport.
    As others have mentioned, simply go to the counter (you can't miss it) and ask for the cab.
    You will be put in line to await your turn.

It helps if you google your hotel prior to getting to Bangkok and print out their address and information in Thai.
    Most hotels have the equivalence of a business card printable precisely for that purpose.
    Ditto for any trips outside your hotel.
    Ask your hotel for their card once you're there and always keep it with you.

1 member found this helpful

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Your bio says from Singapore.  For some reason many visitors from Singapore seem to think Bangkok is a combat zone and something bad will happen to them.    Millions of tourists use rail service and taxis all the time without any problems.  You shouldn't have a big problem using the Airport Rail Link or even one of the registered meter taxis at the airport.    I have used the MRT in Singapore and I don't find it much different than using the Airport Rail Link, subway or Skytrain in Bangkok.    Your choice.

With the Airport Rail Link (and probably a change to the Skytrain) you can get close to many hotels where you only have a short walk.   Using City Line to Pratunam area is only 45 baht.   Where is your hotel located?    Yes, you will be carrying your own bags and if you must change trains at Phaya Thai there is a little walk to the Skytrain station but not that far!   If you are staying in a luxury hotel don't cheap out on your ride!   

urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangko...

Meter taxis are regulated at the airport.   Do not use taxis pulling up at departures go to the official Public Taxi sign up desks on the first floor.    The taxi will be recorded, you will get a receipt that identifies the taxi - keep it!    Desk clerks will tell the driver in Thai where to take you so have a good address for the hotel.    Before you go to the Public Taxi desks remember to change your currency to Thai baht and have some small bills and coins for paying taxi drivers.    There is two of you in the taxi and one driver!   You could photograph the driver and license plate on your cell phone and send that info to a friend (or pretend to) if this make you feel safer.   Check the meter when you get in the taxi and make sure it is not covered by a hat or shirt, the sign up desk clerk can verify the meter is okay.   The meter fare including tolls to most hotels in Bangkok comes to around 350 baht - give or take 50 baht - depending on traffic.    You pay the meter fare at the hotel and the 50 baht surcharge at that time.  Price is the same for one passenger or both of you. You pay the toll charges during the ride.  

bangkokairportonline.com/nod...

Up to you.

3 members found this helpful

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM

It seems to be very expensive. You can just go to the desk for cabs inside the airport and book one. Also most Thai cab drivers speak a bit of English. You could also show them the name of your hotel written/printed on a paper if they do not understand your accent.
    Thailand is a very safe place. You could also go by public transport unless your luggage is too heavy.
    Have a good trip

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Oh yeah, 2000B is 'really 'high. Typical of hotels getting their piece of the action.

As was previously stated, just get the metered cab.

It helps to NOT look like a newbie. In other words don't look "lost". Get some baht (some small denominations) at the airport as the driver will ask for the toll charges.

One of my little "tricks" is to talk to the driver....see if he speaks english, then make some mention about being glad to be back. The driver usually comments if I have been here before and I tell them many times.    All this does is maybe make him hesitate about taking the "Scenic Tour"

It is alot better than it was back 13 years ago when I first went to LOS, as I am sure some of the oldtime expats can tell you, so i seriously doubt you will have any problems.

Enjoy, David

• Pearie's Profile Photo

Hi! Thank you for the valuable advice. :) I will do that. Thank you! Much appreciated.

by Pearie Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Homanded wrote:
    You will have no problems with taxi directly at the airport. As others have mentioned, simply go to the counter (you can't miss it) and ask for the cab. You will be put in line to await your turn.

It helps if you google your hotel prior to getting to Bangkok and print out their address and information in Thai. Most hotels have the equivalence of a business card printable precisely for that purpose. Ditto for any trips outside your hotel. Ask your hotel for their card once you're there and always keep it with you.

• Pearie's Profile Photo

Haha...yes, sir. Thank you for the advice! I have learnt alot here even before going to Bangkok! :) Really appreciate it. Thanks again~~ :)

by Pearie Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 3:11 AM

SirHalberd wrote:
    Your bio says from Singapore.  For some reason many visitors from Singapore seem to think Bangkok is a combat zone and something bad will happen to them.    Millions of tourists use rail service and taxis all the time without any problems.  You shouldn't have a big problem using the Airport Rail Link or even one of the registered meter taxis at the airport.    I have used the MRT in Singapore and I don't find it much different than using the Airport Rail Link, subway or Skytrain in Bangkok.    Your choice.

With the Airport Rail Link (and probably a change to the Skytrain) you can get close to many hotels where you only have a short walk.   Using City Line to Pratunam area is only 45 baht.   Where is your hotel located?    Yes, you will be carrying your own bags and if you must change trains at Phaya Thai there is a little walk to the Skytrain station but not that far!   If you are staying in a luxury hotel don't cheap out on your ride!   

urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangko...

Meter taxis are regulated at the airport.   Do not use taxis pulling up at departures go to the official Public Taxi sign up desks on the first floor.    The taxi will be recorded, you will get a receipt that identifies the taxi - keep it!    Desk clerks will tell the driver in Thai where to take you so have a good address for the hotel.    Before you go to the Public Taxi desks remember to change your currency to Thai baht and have some small bills and coins for paying taxi drivers.    There is two of you in the taxi and one driver!   You could photograph the driver and license plate on your cell phone and send that info to a friend (or pretend to) if this make you feel safer.   Check the meter when you get in the taxi and make sure it is not covered by a hat or shirt, the sign up desk clerk can verify the meter is okay.   The meter fare including tolls to most hotels in Bangkok comes to around 350 baht - give or take 50 baht - depending on traffic.    You pay the meter fare at the hotel and the 50 baht surcharge at that time.  Price is the same for one passenger or both of you. You pay the toll charges during the ride.  

bangkokairportonline.com/nod...

Up to you.

• Pearie's Profile Photo

Hi David! I will try to sound convincing. Haha.. Also, thanks for boosting my confidence! :)

by Pearie Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 3:13 AM

martensd wrote:
    Oh yeah, 2000B is 'really 'high. Typical of hotels getting their piece of the action.

As was previously stated, just get the metered cab.

It helps to NOT look like a newbie. In other words don't look "lost". Get some baht (some small denominations) at the airport as the driver will ask for the toll charges.

One of my little "tricks" is to talk to the driver....see if he speaks english, then make some mention about being glad to be back. The driver usually comments if I have been here before and I tell them many times.    All this does is maybe make him hesitate about taking the "Scenic Tour"

It is alot better than it was back 13 years ago when I first went to LOS, as I am sure some of the oldtime expats can tell you, so i seriously doubt you will have any problems.

Enjoy, David

• Pearie's Profile Photo

Yes it is. I was stunned when I heard that price.. Thank you for the advice! :)

by Pearie Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 3:17 AM

vpas wrote:
    It seems to be very expensive. You can just go to the desk for cabs inside the airport and book one. Also most Thai cab drivers speak a bit of English. You could also show them the name of your hotel written/printed on a paper if they do not understand your accent. Thailand is a very safe place. You could also go by public transport unless your luggage is too heavy. Have a good trip

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

by goutammitra Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Baht 2000! That's too much , for that price we took a Toyota Van to Ayutthaya and back with all Tolls paid. Bangkok is quite safe and most of the taxis are Toyota Corolla, air conditioned. Please go to Pre Paid taxi counter at departure tell them your destination and the taxi will take you to your destination. Or else you can take MRT but with luggage it's going to be problem. When nothing is available take a meter taxi ( You must insist to put the meter on) and note down the drivers name and no ( It's displayed next to meter)!

Happy Trip!

• Pearie's Profile Photo

Thank you very much. I will take note. :)

by Pearie Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:44 AM

goutammitra wrote:
    Baht 2000! That's too much , for that price we took a Toyota Van to Ayutthaya and back with all Tolls paid. Bangkok is quite safe and most of the taxis are Toyota Corolla, air conditioned. Please go to Pre Paid taxi counter at departure tell them your destination and the taxi will take you to your destination. Or else you can take MRT but with luggage it's going to be problem. When nothing is available take a meter taxi ( You must insist to put the meter on) and note down the drivers name and no ( It's displayed next to meter)!

Happy Trip!

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM

2000 bahts is a bit expensive. this must be a limo service with a mercedes and white gloves. This is not needed as you can hop a cab at the airport and be in the city for under 500 baht. just be sure the meter is on...no meter? you must leave or turn on that meter.

cheers tommy x

• Pearie's Profile Photo

LOL! White gloves! :) Sounds cool.. but... nah.. too ex. Haha...Thank you. I will take note of the meter!~

by Pearie Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:34 AM

xymmot wrote:
    2000 bahts is a bit expensive. this must be a limo service with a mercedes and white gloves. This is not needed as you can hop a cab at the airport and be in the city for under 500 baht. just be sure the meter is on...no meter? you must leave or turn on that meter.

cheers tommy x

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I just came back(to New York) from Bangkok this morning.
    Do NOT take the hotel "shuttle." Way too expensive.
    After you collect your luggage and clear customs, just follow the signs for taxis. There is a queue/line and you will be directed to an open taxi when available. Just state where you are going....and as someone said, act like you know where you are going!
    And also as stated, make sure that they use the meter. My fare was appr 420 baht going and 300 returning to the airport. Note that I was staying on Soi 15/Sukhumvit.

• Pearie's Profile Photo

by Pearie Online Now Jun 7, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Thank you. I will remember that! :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines