Bangkok Travel Answers

change location
poepat's Profile Photo

BANGKOK TO SIEM REAP BY COACH

by poepat Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Help please... can anyone provide details of travelling from Bangkok to Siem Reap by coach. How long does it take. Also cost, and reputable coach company.
Many thanks....... POEPAT

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • view.finder's Profile Photo

Re: BANGKOK TO SIEM REAP BY COACH

by view.finder Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Hi, I have done this route but would like to suggest a train.
    From Bangkok travel to Aranyaprathet. I recommend the morning service which leaves Bangkok at dawn, although there is a later service in the afternoon.
    Train number: 275 279
    Departs: Bangkok Hualamphong 05:55 13:05
    Arrives: Aranyaprathet 11:35 17:35

The train goes through some stunning scenery and was uncrowded (in February 2012).
    From Aranyaprathet take a tuk-tuk or a bus to the Poiphet border crossing. It's 6km, about 15 minutes. From here there are buses to Siem Reap. However there are also some scam services which will try and take you to a fake bus terminal or make you use a fake bus service. Look for a service that will take you directly to Siem Reap, with no stops along the way.

I was taken by bus from Poipet to a fake bus station a few miles down the road where I was told I would wait three hours for the next bus to arrive and asked whether I would like to be put in a private bus/people carrier for an extortionate amount of money. I trusted nobody (especially as it seemed to be the guards on the Cambodian side of the border organising the bus tickets) so shared a taxi to Siem Reap with another traveling couple I met. It was half the price of the scam bus service.
    Poipet seemed a bit of a dodgy place and I'd try another border crossing if I could do it again but is the most direct crossing for journeys from Bangkok to Siem Reap. Unfortunately there were no running trains in Cambodia (2012) to make travel more hassle-free but there soon will be.

You should arrive in Siem Reap in time to find a hotel in daylight and enjoy the city for an evening. The border was rough but the destination truly worthwhile. Hope this helps. Finally I'd like to recommend this great website for onward journeys, especially for traveling in south east Asia.
    www.seat61.com (homepage)
    seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Aran... (Thailand/Cambodia)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lotharscheer's Profile Photo

by lotharscheer Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM

There is a new oficial busline from Bangkok Morchit (northern terminal) to Siem Reap (also one to Pnom Penh), if i remember well leaving 7.30 or 8 am, arive sometime in the afternoon and around 700 Baht. Khao San buses will be cheaper but most people have then the above experience. The train until the border will also be cheaper, but only if you know your way around the Poipet border

Be the first to rate this answer!

• krazydragon's Profile Photo

by krazydragon Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM

in the bangkok post 1 month ago a bus service now going to
    phnom penh and siem reap
    phnom penh bus leaves BK at 8 15am for 900bt ...... 719km
    siem reap bus leaves BK at 9am for 750bt takes 7 hours ....424km

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer