Bangkok Travel Answers

change location

Where to go???

by johnykg Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I will be in Bangkok for 4 nights during Songkran form 14th to 18th April with a couple of friends.
Will be staying in Pratunam for the first 2 days, wondering are all shopping centres open n is it very hard to shop during Songkran period? Which shopping centres are a must to visit? Also, planning to take the Chao praya express boat to visit Wat Arun, Grand Palace and Wat Pho, which boat should i take and where to alight? The boat also stop at Khoa San is it?
Last 2 days will be staying nearby Huai Khwang BTS, any nice places to eat around or roam around and any nigt spots to recommend??
Thank You

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Re: Where to go???

by lotharscheer Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Shopping Centers will be open, Pantip Plaza for computers, Platinum for cheap clothings, Central World and Palladium are the most spectacular for brand name clothings....
    The Chao Praya express boat has a stop not far from Khao San, there is also a express boat on a Klong (canal) from near Khao San to Pratunam near Central World, boats go only until 6, 6.30 pm

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Where to go???

by wentbytrain Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

while the centres as such will be open-365 days, NOT all shops IN those centres will open. And convenient with all the water throwing as soon as you come out of HTl or out of shop-cente is also not.
    From Pratunam that boat is just very inconvenient. Take a taxi- traffic on SK is much, much less as usual here in BK. Even the buses can then run on speed.
    ANY spot in BK has tons of places to eat around- just ask locally. But again on SK many will not open-half of town is out to go home-incl. many of the vendors.
    Frankly: the start of Sk is just a big water mess -make it impossible for anyone with sense to do anything.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Being there on songkran makes you part of the festivities so don't get annoyed if you getv wet, just smile and join the fun, keep your valuables in waterproof bags. Visit Bai Yoke, not too far from Pratinum---great clothe s market and take the elevator up to the 78th floor of Bai Yok towers for great view of Bangkok. Shopping malls will be open

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

by theguardianangel Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 5:31 AM

For shopping, I recommend the Platinum Mall which is located a few walks from the Pratunam market. I'm just not sure if the mall is open during Songkran period. If you're into fashion, this mall is definitely a must place to go. You can bargain in every store here and you can be given big discounts if you buy wholesale (min. 6pairs). I also agree with you in taking the Chao Praya Express boat in visiting the temples you mentioned. As I remember, we took the BTS then stopped at the Tha Tien Pier, from there we ride the express boat. Just tell the boat staff, the temple you wish to visit, and they will take you there. You can transfer 1 boat to another to visit the other temples.. it only costs 2baht (year2010), I just don't know if the price is still the same today. Yes, the boat also stops near Khao San road. Hmm.. as for the nightlife, I definitely recommend, Sukhumvit. Lots of bars and restos are in the house:)

• limkahwan's Profile Photo

by limkahwan Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 7:00 AM

If you want to visit Wat Pho, Grand Palace and Wat Arun. First, you just plan your visit to Grand Palace early in the morning , Long Pants with sleeve shirt or polo shirt, for ladies no bare back. after the Grand Palace you just walk to the Pier just at the conner. you can get the information at my Thailand page. All the three places you can visit at a go. Kao San Road is just 15 minutes walk from the Grand Palace.

• muratkorman's Profile Photo

by muratkorman Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:34 AM

You can check my Bangkok page for some useful tips. For shopping MBK is the best place for shopping.
    "Welcome to land of smiles !!!" - Bangkok by muratkorman

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines