Bangkok Travel Answers

change location
Kalahukassa's Profile Photo

Getting out from Airport (BKK) after midnight without using taxi ?

by Kalahukassa Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM

How to get out from BKK somewhere close to Makkasan, Phaya Thai, Ratchathewi or Sukhumvit after midnight when TAXI is NOT an option?
Or am I sleeping until 6AM at the BKK ?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Getting out from Airport (BKK) after midnight without using taxi ?

by xymmot Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM

why would taxi not be a option.? if the cost is what you are worried about, find someone that is going the same direction and see if they want to split a cab. if not, there is a local bus, but i for got which one it is that goes out there. i think I might have wrote it on the VT pages, I gotta look, but always had a taxi or private car, Mr T to take care of my transportation.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • explore_discover's Profile Photo

by explore_discover Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Try taking the free shuttle from arrival to the transportation center and from there you may find public buses/vans, # 550 - 35 Baht to the Mall Bangkapi or to Chatuchak and from there you can find 24 hour public buses or get a metered taxi

If you sleep at the airport till 6.00 AM you can get Airport Link Train (City Line) for 45 Baht to Phaya Thai or 40 Baht to Makkasan, on the ground floor there is a food court and on the mezzanine floor there are some snaks and coffee shops to kill the time but no where to laydown and get somesleep unless you could manage going too the basement (Airport Link station) which is quiter and have some carpeted areas.

1 member found this helpful

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 1:30 AM

bangkokairportonline.com/nod...

This site gives the routes of public buses leaving from the bus terminal at the transport centre.
    A taxi at that time of night will be very fast and should not cost any more than 350 baht.

transitbangkok.com/bangkok_b... helpful link

• ollyf's Profile Photo

by ollyf Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:53 AM

You needn't fear the taxis, you just need to know how to get an honest one. From the airport to most places downtown should cost no more 300-350 baht plus one or two toll payments (25 or 45 baht). Ignore any of the taxi touts hanging around the arrivals area and also avoid the "official airport limousine" stand. The former are unlicensed con artists and the latter is a rip off. Follow the signs for "public taxi", where you will find a queue of legal, licensed and metered taxis who will take you anywhere for an honest price.

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:22 AM

No rail service from midnight to 6 a.m.

A meter taxi to most hotels in Bangkok comes to around 350 baht.  This includes the meter fare and 50 baht surcharge paid at your hotel and probably 2 tolls during the ride, one at 45 and one at 25 baht.    You pay the toll charges during the ride and the prices are posted.   Have smaller currency for paying the taxi driver, 500 baht bills will be too big.   Same price if one passenger or three more in taxi.  Meter taxi sign up desks on first floor in 2 places.   Millions of tourists arrive around midnight and take taxis into the city.  Have a good address for your hotel.   Taxis picking up at the airport know they have to use the meter and be registered.   Check the meter when you get in and make sure it is not covered by a jacket or hat, etc.   Alone I sit in the back seat with my bags with me on the seat.   When I have to pay the driver I slide the bags out with me and when outside with bags pay the driver.    (Have small bills and when using a taxi in the city also have coins.  No reason to pay big tips.  Maybe get rid of your small coins.)

Since the Airport Rail Link opened I have not used any of the Public Buses that leave from Suvarnabhumi.   I can't tell you if some of the routes still exist.   But here is the link for those bus runs.   These bus routes are used primarily by Thais.  Late at night passenger vans with same bus number replace the larger buses.  NO ROOM on those vans for big bags.  You put a bag on your lap or pay for a separate seat.   Have coins to pay the driver.    If your only choice is to stay at the airport until 6 a.m. maybe take the free shuttle bus to the bus station and see what is still running.    From the city a meter taxi from final bus stop to your hotel is really cheap if you use the meter!   But these bus routes may drop you in a dark almost deserted location.  

Cheapest place to eat in at Suvarnabhumi is the Magic Food Point.   This Food Court is on the first floor, same floor the Public Taxi sign up desks are located at.   Like most food courts, you buy several coupons.  Use coupons to pay for food.  Take unused coupons back to desk and get cash refund for coupons not used.   Coupons no good after 24 hours at the airport.  

flickr.com/photos/bill2p/716...

1 member found this helpful

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 4:34 AM

You can ask for hotel suggestions on this forum. But include your price range. Use a baht amount.

No problem changing most MAJOR currencies at the airport 24 hours a day.

But not sure abut Bolivian currency though. No problem US dollars!

(Taxi ride from Suvarnabhumi to most hotels in Bangkok is usually under $12 US.)

• explore_discover's Profile Photo

by explore_discover Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Even at day time there is no direct bus from the Airport to Makkasan (#556 is not in operation from the airport since the airport link train started) so as the other buses to On Nut, Sukhumvir Road, Victory Monument, and the Airport Express Busses, so at midnight the only option is the Metered Taxi from the ground floor. The Photo is the Bus Routes currently in service from the Airport Bus Terminal but not all are 24 hour buses.

• Curt1591's Profile Photo

by Curt1591 Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Seriously; Bangkok taxis can be a real pain. But, at this time of night, most will want to get to central Bangkok to take advantage of the bar rush. Odds are you would have no trouble finding one to get you to your hotel, as quickly as possible. Then, he can hunt down foolish drunks to fleece!

Just be sure to use the official taxi rank.

• Re: Getting out from Airport (BKK) after midnight without using taxi ?

by wentbytrain Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM

the BUS info on airportonline is OUT of DATE-and again Da-jo seems to believe that anything on www should be believed in Th. It has not been updated since the airport started 6 years ago. Alberd has it right-most buses are now cancelled and there are NO more nighttime buses.
    The site transitbangkok has just been updated for airport connections to show the NOW real state. But this site is also much out of date for other data-it lists busroutes withdrawn 5,6 years ago as still running. But then even google transit for BK is a nightmare-assuming that times can be given!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines