Bangkok Travel Answers

change location
boundarybay's Profile Photo

Hotel close to the airport with trusting shuttle service.

by boundarybay Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

My daughter is flying into Bangkok at midnight and is looking for a recommendation for a hotel near the airport. This is her first trip to Thailand and will have traveled for over 24 hrs. Needs a good nite sleep to get her bearings and start her adventure in the morning!

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Curt1591's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel close to the airport with trusting shuttle service.

by Curt1591 Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

There is really no need to stay near the airport. It is pretty much in the sticks and will not really lend itself to getting one's bearings. A taxi, from the established taxi rank, is pretty straight forward.

What sort of accommodations are we talking? Price point and comfort level...

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Poling's Profile Photo

by Poling Online Now Mar 4, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I support that for the benefit of subsequent days, no need to find a hotel near the airport just because of the first night arriving late. However, if you really need one, try this one which I stayed before: Grand Pinnacle Hotel (444/4 Soi Maecham, Ladkrabang Road Bangkok, Tel: 1 800 551 2409). The room rate includes a round trip shuttle (Suvarnabhumi-Hotel-Suvarnabhumi) transfer.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

I know the feeling, the first thing one wants to do after a long flight is sleep. There is a Novotel on the airport grounds, you can walk to it, as you can see it from the arrivals floor, or there is a shuttle, it is not cheap but certainly would do the trick, you can book it through Accor Hotels.com Also I have used the Best Western which is about 15 minutes away, excellent hotel, shuttle 24hrs, you can book this through the Best Western website, either one of these will offer the good nights sleep one needs.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:04 AM

The airport area is nothing special, perhaps it would be better to get a taxi to Bangkok, find a hotel/GH and have a good night's sleep and stay in bed until she feels like getting up, rather that stay at the airport area and have the inconvenience of changing hotels the next day again.

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 4:49 AM

boundarybay wrote: My daughter is flying into Bangkok at midnight and is looking for a recommendation for a hotel near the airport. This is her first trip to Thailand and will have traveled for over 24 hrs. Needs a good nite sleep to get her bearings and start her adventure in the morning!

Millions of tourists arrive late around midnight.  No big deal because Bangkok is a 24 hour city.     At 24 years old it is time for her to ask her own questions anyway.  I am as old as you, maybe older, and I manage to survive long flights from North America many times over the past 16 years.    Little old ladies on social security pensions also arrive in Bangkok around midnight too.   They seem to survive their trip too!   

Bangkok has two airports.    Do you mean Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang Airports?   Both airports are not close together and are on opposite sides of Bangkok.   Is she staying in the city area for a few days or immediately flying out.   Which airport is she flying out of if leaving immediately?

Price range.   If this is the first hotel she is asking about you (really she) should also incude a price range she is comfortable paying for each night.     You can get a hotel that includes A/C, hot water, private toilet, TV and maid clean up starting around 600-850 baht.    Or, for the same amount of time she can use a hotel that costs over 6000 baht a night.     Most hotels in Bangkok are safe for women.   Some hotels may be in noisier areas than others but safe.  (It is the guests she invites into her hotel toom that could be the problem!)  Cheaper hotels do not have fancy saunas, weight rooms, restaurants, etc.   Kid backpackers arrive in Bangkok all the time and head out to really cheap places to stay in - and they do this every day of the year!

How to get into the city area.  If you are loaded she can have a hotel pick her up at the airport and transport her to a hotel.    This is one of those deals with a driver holding up a sign with her name on it.   Costs more for transportation this way than a taxi but very safe.    From the Suvarnabhumi Airport you have regulated taxis that routinely pick up passengers and transport them to hotels.  Rough price from Suvarnabhumi to Bangkok City area is around 350 baht.   This includes toll charges during the ride, surcharge of 50 baht and meter fare to her hotel.    The Novotel is an expensive hotel.   The cost of a cheaper hotel in the city plus the hotel providing transportation works out about the same.    Some cheaper hotels slightly closer to the airport only save her about 10 or 15 minutes in commute time.   Once she is in the city area she does not have to move again.   For many hotels she can simply walk to restaurants, malls, street vendors, nightlife, etc.   Hotels near the airports put you in an area with less to walk to in the immediate area.   In the end (unless she is immediately flying out) she would be packing up again and moving into the city anyway.   Hotels near the airport saves you very little time compared to just jumping in and going to the city anyway.    Some areas of Bangkok are still lively even up to 2 a.m.   Sukhumvit Nana area is one area still lively and the streets are well lit with tourists wandering around.   Skytrain also available in this area too.

bangkokairportonline.com/nod...

Visa and currency requirements.  She should already know about visa requirements.   (Visa or Visa Exemption depends on how long she will stay in Thailand and what passport she arrives with.)  Round trip flights from  a long distance on major airlines is often cheaper than 2 one way flights, by the way.   She should know that she will get a better rate of exchange for currency if she changes her money in Thailand.   No problem changing major currencies in Bangkok including 24 hours at the airport.       She should know that if she plans on using a debit card she should also notify her bank  before  she leaves on the trip.  Otherwise her card may not work in Thai ATM's because banks suspect fraud!     The fee to use most Thai ATM's is 150 baht, she should know not to waste big fees on small amounts.  Likewise she should know that she can use travelers checks in Thailand but only bring the largest denominations.   The fee to cash a TC is 33 baht!   Cash always works but stick with the big denominations and make sure they are not old, worn or dirty.    (This is why she should be posting her own questions!)

When women get in trouble in Thailand it is when they drink too much alcohol and take chances with people she meets.  There are guys who take advantage of lonely women who visit Thailand.   They walk off with their money, etc. And not all of these gigolos are Thai too! Take precautions like she would visiting any large city in her own country.  Google up "scams Bangkok" and she will have a heads up on what to avoid.  (Usually concerned with but not limited to - buses booked in Khao San Road area, tuk-tuks, gold and gems and palace closed.)

So, how much do you want to shell out for a hotel?    Novotel you can get to easiest.  

Not cheap.  In city area in good location.   Pathumwan Princess.

http://www.bangkok.com/pathumwan/

Cheap near airport.   Sananwan Palace.

http://999thai.com/

Both provide transportation you pay for.    There is also a limo service available at the airport too.

Have fun. 

2 members found this helpful

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Great post Sir^^^

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Curt1591's Profile Photo

by Curt1591 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 3:08 AM

One thing to realize that, although midnight seems late, many international flights arrive around this time. She may even be able to share a taxi with someone on her same flight.

• ter1413's Profile Photo

by ter1413 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Agree. I have landed in Bk at various times and would never stay near the airport. Head right into Bk and enjoy. The next morning, she can get up and head right out and not have to deal with traffic, etc.

I am actually headed to Bk on the 21st(arrive on the 22nd) and will head right into town to my hotel.

• iclee's Profile Photo

by iclee Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Took Regent Suvarnabhumi with 24/7 shuttle via Gate 4 of Arrival Hall. Shuttle and Breakast, no charge plus they gave me a free silver plated mirror as a token of my stay. Very affordable, too.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines