Bangkok Travel Answers

change location

how i plan my visit to bangkok and pattaya?????

by anam9298 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I am planning to visit Bangkok and pattaya in april 2013. my query is a. will it safe for travelling alone? b.What should i prefer i. by package tour or ii without package c. minimum budget and maximum fun d. approx days required e. reply with complete itnary /schedule

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • Curt1591's Profile Photo

Re: how i plan my visit to bangkok and pattaya?????

by Curt1591 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Bangkok is as safe as most cities, which means it's as safe as you make it. If you keep your nose clean, and stay out of trouble at home, you should be able to do the same here. Keep decent hours, don't wander down dark alleys, and you should be fine. Far too many people leave their common sense back home.

There is plenty to do on one's own in Bangkok. If you are the type that likes to explore at your own pace, and is comfortable doing so, Bangkok should be pretty easy. Read up and do some planning.

If you are lost without guidance, many hotels and hostel can hook you up with package tours to help you out.

If you are visiting during the 13th~15th, get ready to get wet. This is Songkran, Thai New Years. It is most obviously celebrated by tossing water on everyone. Be sure to protect any electronics you may be carrying.

Why Pattaya?

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Anam , i don't know if you are male or female but in any case you should be very safe in Bangkok and Pattaya should you decide to go there. Bangkok is quite easy to get around on the sky train and buses, most drivers and ticket collectors speak a little English and will tell you when to get off the bus. I have been visiting Bangkok many times in the last 34 year and never had a problem. Pattaya i would forget about as PART of it is one big whore house with bars and girls!! Much better to choose Kanchanaburi, Sukhothai or Ayuttaya where you can catch up on some history and interesting attractions.

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

The whole of Thailand is very safe if you stick to basic rules. There is no need to take a package tour. Do your reading about the places and you can very easily do it on your own. However do take a guided tour in the Chou Praya river. Wat Pho, Ayuthayya, Thai massages -- are all a must do while in Bangkok. Have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:20 AM

anam9298 wrote: I am planning to visit Bangkok and pattaya in april 2013. my query is a. will it safe for travelling alone? b.What should i prefer i. by package tour or ii without package c. minimum budget and maximum fun d. approx days required e. reply with complete itnary /schedule
    Buy a travel guide on Thailand or borrow one from a library.   This is a good start to see where to go and other helpful information.  Even using a Google search is helpful to get some basic information on how to get around or from here to here type questions.

Where are you coming from?  From long distance, like N. America or Europe, stay at least 2 weeks.   Budget determines on what you normally spend on hotels and food when away from home.  Some tourists stay in cheaper hotels, eat in cheaper restaurants and don't bother with nightclubs.  Other tourists only choose expensive hotels, expensive restaurants and drink a lot of alcohol in nightclulbs.   Different budget requirements for each person.    Why not decide how much money you can spend for each day (after buying plane tickets) and then book hotels, food and other things according to what you can afford.   Keep in mind that Thailand caters to cheap backpackers on low budgets and richer tourists who only stay in 5 star hotels.    And every budget in between!

Book round trip to Bangkok.   Round trip is usually cheaper than 2 one way flights if you are using major airlines and flying long distance.  If you arrive at Suvarnabhumi during day hours up to midnight you can even use rail service to get to the city area.  But meter taxis are available 24 hours a day.   Many old posts on hotel recommendations and how to use taxis in Bangkok.   For hotel help you need to say how much per night you want to spend on a room.   Transportation in Bangkok is not expensive.  For meter taxis only pay the meter fare.  In Bangkok you have good rail service and cheap city bus service.   For Bangkok a hotel near the Skytrain route will be helpful.

urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangko...

bangkokairportonline.com/nod...

In Pattaya many hotels a little cheaper than Bangkok.   Local transportation is usually by baht bus that is only 10 baht.   For Pattaya City area choose a hotel near Pattaya Sai Song or Pattaya Beach Road.   If you think you will be swimming at Pattaya Beach - think again!  Tourists do not swim at Pattaya Beach!   If swimming at a beach is important go to a different beach area.   But if you are happy with walking on a beach, using restaurants, visiting malls and checking out nightlife - Pattaya will do!  Many hotels in Pattaya have pools.

thaiwaysmagazine.com/pattaya...

For Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Hua Hin you can sign on to tours through local travel agencies.  They will have a list of popular tourist destinations you can sign on to.  Pick up is at your hotel.  Your hotel also may have a tourist desk too.   Google up things to see and do in Pattaya for more help.  Look over older posts for more specific help.

Don't know if you are male or female.   Thailand could be safer than where you come from.   But your safety depends on what you do.  Some women and men get so drunk that common sense and other normal safety vibes you usually get is ignored or not existent.    Be careful who you allow into your hotel room and never leave your wallet, watch, purse, jewelry, laptop, cellphone, passport out where a "guest" can run out the door with them when you are out of the room.  Don't flash a lot of money around, especially in bars,  don't over tip, use the security box or safe at your hotel to safeguard cash and jewelry.  If something sounds too good to be true usually it is not true!   Google up "Bangkok scams."  For Pattaya there are some scams involving Jet Skis that you ought to research.   

If you know nothing about the Songkran holiday do a Google search!   This holiday can get you and your electronics very wet!

bkkthailand.com/songkran-201...

Good luck.

• canata's Profile Photo

by canata Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Pattaya is not the best destination within Thailand. Bangkok is one of the most amazing cities in this planet. It is quiet safe and you do not need any tours. You will enjoy yourself in the city on a one on one relationship. But be prepared to be culturally shocked at arrival. It takes some habituation. I would recommend to skip Pattaya and see either the southern beach and towns (like Krabi or the Tarutao area). Or Consider Chiang Mai. Travelling by train is very safe. It's one of the most travel friendly countries. Don't worry and enjoy!

by Curt1591 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM

davidjo wrote: Pattaya i would forget about as PART of it is one big whore house with bars and girls!! 
     Although I, personally, don't care for Pattaya, it is far more than "one big whore house with bars and girls". Many will say the same of Bangkok.

Many Bangkok families will head to Pattaya, with their kids, for a weekend of relaxation. There are endless "family" attractions to be found. 

Unfortunately, most tourists simply hang out at bars and clubs, drawn to the neon like a bunch of moths. 

What I don't care for is that Pattaya has become a place where the foreigners, most Russian, seem more at home that the Thai locals.

Whether Pattaya is a good destination, for you, depends on why you plan to go there and how much you research its options. 

• Re: how i plan my visit to bangkok and pattaya?????

by charlie_o123 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The poor guy has heard of Pattaya and seen stuff on the internet so he wants to go there. No point discouraging him. lol All he's asking is the safest way to get there and not whether he should go there or not. My dear friend you'll have a blast in Pattaya if you're after fun with a chicki babe or two. Remember the 3 day rule. If you stay with a girl more than 3 days, historically, you'll fall in love and will end up with zero in your bank account, broken heart and a promise to go back to save her from the horrid world she's in. Once your'e in the taxi travelling back to BKK airport, she'll be back at the same bar...cycle continues. Oh going back to taxis. You can catch a bus from BKK airport to Pattaya but the last one departs 10ishpm. The only taxi you should catch is the government endorsed one. You'll see a small table and a couple of people sittng around it with name badges. They will give you a ticket then will tell you where to stand and wait for a taxi. The fares to Pattaya are not metered (set fare) on those taxis. Not a bad idea to record taxi driver's ID in case. If he encourages to to participate in any activity (eg take you to a jewellery shop, pussy show etc) say no thanks. he gets a commission from those places whether you buy anything or not. The cost is around 1500tbh. The return trip is around 800-900tbh as the taxi rather have someone in it than return back to bbk empty. Enjoy mate.

by Curt1591 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM

There you have it! 

And you seem to imply we were presumptuous ...

If a hot ride in the park is what he's after, once again, why Pattaya?

Maybe he's Russian ...

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Yes Curt, i know there are a few attractions nearby. Sorry but it is not my type of place and as you well know there are many sois catering to the sex tourist so i ;like to be as far away as possible from this type of thing and i also think that there are far better places that our friend could visit especially if they are in search of a beach---Try Koh Chang, another 3 hrs from Pattaya!!!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Just want to mention: this OP could likely be female so careful there, mates.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Bangkok is one of the safest city for such a large population. I traveled all over the world and at no time did I ever feel unsafe in Thailand where ever I went.

cheers tommy x

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Oh, on destination Pattaya, it is what it is but people can see the other side. I live here months at a time and it is a strange city, but one that has many different turns. When I bicycle through the city and go through different sub-towns of village, or even a off street. People do what they do, living life. I don't judge or know their work, but I enjoy different communities within the city . It's not all that bad and there is food 24/7, entertainment if you want 24/7, then there is the beach, Koh Larn. My sunny days of golf is brutal, but where in the world can you get a 1 hour massage for three dollars? Food is iffy, but we learn to adapt. Still won't eat much of that New Zealand beef.....but there are restaurants out there that can makes some mean Thai food. Homestyle. And I find the best time to ride my bike is after 3am, if I am up and about. I never feel threaten and always felt at home, safe, except for those lady boys late at night on beach road, but the police are on to them. Can not say enough about a city I don't love, but I am amuse to say I rather be there then in USA at times, you just have to know when to leave.

cheers tommy x

by Curt1591 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yes, there are "alternatives" in Pattaya. The two times I visited we stayed outside "downtown", with limited runs into town. I couldn't even tell you where the famous "walking street" is.

But, for someone simply "planning to visit", odds are they will book a "convenient" hotel and follow the flow. Just like moths, most will head directly to the shiny lights.

• Re: how i plan my visit to bangkok and pattaya?????

by Lobo4455 Online Now Nov 22, 2013 at 4:15 AM

My dear friend you'll have a blast in Pattaya if you're after fun with a chicki babe or two. Remember the 3 day rule. If you stay with a girl more than 3 days, historically, you'll fall in love and will end up with zero in your bank account, broken heart and a promise to go back to save her from the horrid world she's in. Once your'e in the taxi travelling back to BKK airport, she'll be back at the same bar...cycle continues.

Very true mate...

• AdrianoM's Profile Photo

by AdrianoM Online Now Nov 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines