Bangalore Travel Answers

change location

Where to buy clothes for scandinavian countries?

by madyg4u Online Now Sep 5, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Hi,

I am moving to Switzerland for 6 month from Oct 2011 - Mar 2012. I'll also be frequently traveling to Finland during this time. Please suggest what clothes should I buy for Scandinavian winters and where can I buy these Bangalore.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~MG

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Where to buy clothes for scandinavian countries?

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Sep 5, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Hi
    I would suggest that it's probably worth waiting until you get to Europe to buy your winter clothing, rather than trying to buy it before you leave. You will be arriving in late autumn, so you will still have a little time to get properly kitted out before winter hits in earnest.
    I speak under correction, but would imagine that the range of clothing in Bangalore suitable for a Northern European winter is extremely limited, probably expensive, and anyway, you probably won't have a realistic idea of what you need.
    The best idea is to be guided by local people as to what you require. For example, although winters can be bitterly cold outside, most European houses and offices are centrally heated, so it's best to dress in layers. Otherwise, if you're just wearing a couple of extremely warm items to repell the cold outside, you will boil once you set foot inside (and will be limited as to what you can decently take off). Similarly, thermal underwear (especially the more expensive ski underwear) can make an amazing difference to your ability to deal with the cold, as can footwear, hats and gloves.
    Switzerland has a reputation for being very expensive, so could I perhaps suggest that you use this as justification for a trip across the border into Germany, France, Austria or Italy (depending on where you're based in Switzerland) where the prices are likely to be more competitive?
    Also consider buying second hand clothing. We went skiing last year for the first time, as didn't want to buy new stuff just in case we didn't like it. We bought everything (excecpt underwear) on eBay for a fraction of the retail cost, and were very happy with the results, so for more expensive items such as jackets, this may well be worthwhile.
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Sep 5, 2011 at 3:26 AM

as many clothes/shoes are imported from that area you might look for who make them. You might also contact someone who lives in the North of the Country, surely they use winter clothes/shoes. When it's cold shoes are very important, beside the have to keep warm the feet, they must keep them dry.

• mssthirdeye's Profile Photo

by mssthirdeye Online Now Sep 20, 2011 at 1:44 AM

eastern stores in commercial street is a good shop to buy the recommended goods, you need.
    i have been there and its good

• fixerkev's Profile Photo

by fixerkev Online Now Aug 14, 2013 at 4:45 AM

If I was you I would buy your cloths in the UK as all the Scandinavian countries are very expensive. I have a Country Clothes shop H & H Country Wear and website called countryoutlet.co.uk and send quite a lot of Country Clothes to those countries.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines