Banff National Park

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Best time for wildflowers

by martee Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Our summer/fall is open. What's the best time for wildflowers in Canadian Rockies and best time for clear skies? I realize the latter is very unpredictable!

more
    • Best time for wildflowers

by martee Online Now Apr 9, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Our summer/fall is open. What's the best time for wildflowers in Canadian Rockies and best time for clear skies? I realize the latter is very unpredictable!

4 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    • 4-5 days in Banff/Jasper with young kids in October - Advise/Recos?

by Babeechow Online Now Sep 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

We're thinking of a family trip (flying in from Toronto to maybe Calgary?) with our young family (1 and 4 year olds) mid-October. We're not into the camping thing but would LOVE any itinerary suggestions for catching all the great sites and short exploring hikes. Places to stay - things to do and see - any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much in advance~!

1 Answer Sep 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM
    • Dream catcher making or other aboriginal heritage things to do in Banff

by LindsayBosma Online Now Sep 4, 2013 at 6:36 AM

I am planning a stagette in Banff and the bride is very interested in the aboriginal culture. I am looking for activities that we can do as a group such as dream catcher making or??

Thank you!!

1 Answer Sep 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    • Camping Lake Louise and Jasper.

by sltbiz Online Now Aug 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Looking for a recommendation on a good tent camping spot in the Lake Louise area and the Jasper area - will be there the 2nd week of September. Thanks for any help.

1 Answer Sep 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM
    • ThisWorldAndI's Profile Photo

'Must See' in Banff

by ThisWorldAndI Online Now Aug 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Hi Guys,
      We are planning on a 6 day trip to Banff from Vancouver (2nd- 7th Sep). We plan to drive. I was wondering if you could all help us pin down the 'must see' places in the area as we really won't have too much time and don't want to miss out on anything that's absolutely worth seeing.

Thanks.

2 Answers Aug 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    • Banff National park

by Tim1221 Online Now Jul 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM

What easy 1/2 to full day hike might you suggest that might increase the likelihood for wildlife viewing ?

4 Answers Jul 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    • Best Central Location to enjoy Banff, Jasper and surrounding areas

by MariahZ212 Online Now Jul 24, 2013 at 4:56 AM

We are planning a 7 day trip in mid August (yes, the busiest time), but wanted to know if we stayed in one location (Banff or Lake Louise) can we enjoy all of the sites and activities in Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise, Jasper, etc. We are looking at renting a condo and using it as a base. Most hotels are booked up and trying to keep from packing/unpacking along with having a hard time finding lodging for 3 people. We do not mind long days of driving, hiking, sight seeing.

3 Answers Jul 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    • Cabin rental in or around the park July 22-26

by ginapascale Online Now Jul 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Hi everyone. While I've already confirmed camping reservations I'd much prefer a cabin. Do you know of any cabins in or around the park-we don't mind driving for July 22-26 that a family of three could get for $150 or less?

2 Answers Jul 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    • bernadetteb's Profile Photo

Should we book ahead?

by bernadetteb Online Now Jul 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM

We intend to drive the Icefields Parkway in early October and would like to know if it is advisable to book accommodation ahead? We don't know exactly when we will arrive at most of our intended destinations during our driving tour from Vancouver and don't want to be locked into specific dates but also don't want to be 'caught out' and not be able to find a bed for the night.

7 Answers Jul 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

Any local info update on road opening between Calgary and Banff?

by swdke Online Now Jun 26, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Any local's have any information on the progress of opening the road between Calgary and Banff? Thanks

2 Answers Jun 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

How To Fill My Days While In The Canadian Rockies? Seeking Planning Advice

by swdke Online Now Jun 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

In early July, well be driving from Calgary to the Canadian Rockies. I am looking for ideas of what to see do, and not miss based upon my itinerary:
      Day 1: Drive from Calgary, overnight at Lake Louise
      Day 2: Drive to Jasper, overnight in Jasper
      Day 3: Drive to Banff, overnight in Banff
      Day 4: Overnight in Banff
      Day 5: Drive to Calgary for Calgary Stampede

With regards to days 1-4, I've listed where we'll end up each day/evening, so my question is what is possible to see/do/not miss each day. We want to see as much as possible, so given our itinerary. We're basically interested in sightseeing, scenic walks (not major day hikes), and interested in things like walking to tea houses, going up gondola's and trams for scenic views, boat trips on lakes, and of course the Columbia Ice Fields. We like to get early day starts to maximize and see/do as much as possible. Given my itinerary, how much can I fit in each day to maximize and do as much as we can? Appreciate any help, recommendations, and advice. Thank you.

16 Answers Jun 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    • fgysin's Profile Photo

Hiking off the trails - is it possible/legal/advisible?

by fgysin Online Now May 30, 2013 at 3:32 AM

We are planning an extended hiking trek in the Rockies near Banff NP. The three of us are quite experienced hikers and have all done plenty of hikes (ranging from 1-3 weeks at a time) in Northern Europe and South America.

For our hike in the Rockies we are wondering:

- Is hiking off the marked trails in national parks legal? (a source for this would be awesome!)

- Does anyone have either personal experience or knows of a good source of information (e.g. concerning routes/trailheads/etc.)?

Most information we were able to find concerns day-hikes or small 2-3 day hikes in the immediate vicinity of official camping places etc. This is not what we are looking for...

6 Answers May 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    • fgysin's Profile Photo

Map of Greyhound bus stations/stops in the Banff Rocky Mountains area

by fgysin Online Now May 30, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Friends of mine and me are planning an extended hiking trip in the Rockies near Banff NP. We will be traveling by bus, and therefore need to plan our hiking route with the reachable trail heads/endpoints in mind.

Does anyone know of a map(!) which shows all the Greyhound bus stations and stops? So far we have only found a list of all stations (the names), which is of no use to us at all as we have no idea where these stations actually are...

3 Answers May 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM
    • SophieZhang's Profile Photo

1 week in Banff

by SophieZhang Online Now Apr 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Hey, My bf and I (28 and 24 years old) are planning to spend a week visiting Banff around this mid August (Aug 17-27 as planned for now). We will be flying from Montreal to Calgary and we plan to rent a car in there. We would like to have some recommendations on what the must-see places in there are that we could go in 1 week and the suggested route? We want to spend some time walking, not staying in the car all the time. Also we want to spend at least 1 day in Calgary city (we plan to do this before we fly from Calgary back to Montreal at the end of our trip). What do you suggest to do in Calgary within 1-2 days? Thanks in advance for any recommendation! 

7 Answers Jun 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    • Campground

by Jvb03 Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Where is the nearest RV campground to Moraine Lake?

2 Answers Apr 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    • Banff visit - help me plan please

by haymitch Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Hello there,
      My husband and I are flying into Calgary on a Sunday in June and spending the next 7 days in the Banff area. We would like to see Lake Louise and possibly Jasper on top of Banff. Should we base our trip out of Banff (stay at the same place throughout the trip) and do day trips to these places? Or should we move around? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

6 Answers Apr 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    • If time is short

by wahidrahman Online Now Mar 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM

If I have only 1 or 2 days to visit Banff then which attractions, park or lakes are best to visit in Banff

6 Answers Apr 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    • Anniversary trip.....Itinerary guidance for Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper

by cfencik Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM

My husband and I are planning an anniversary trip to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper in mid-September. My husband wants to add a day to the trip. I'm willing to do so if necessary but 9 days away from my 2 year old is already a lot to ask! :) I've read a lot of posts on your Forum as well as Frommer's guide book. I've put together a potential itinerary but want to ensure that I'm not leaving something important out or that we aren't trying to do too much in one day. A little background...we are in our early 40's and pre-baby (3 years ago) we did a good amount of backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in TN and NC. We aren't in the shape we were then but from what I read I don't think I've picked any hikes that are out of our comfort zone. I would greatly appreciate any tips or insight you can offer. Thank you so much!

Sat arrive in Calgary ~ noon, drive to Banff / relax / Lodging in Banff

Sunday am leave early & drive to Lake Louise / hike Plain of 6 glaciers / Lake Moraine / Lodging in Banff

Monday am drive the Icefield Parkway to Jasper / Crowfoot Glacier / Bow Summit & Peto Lake / Sunwapta Pass / Athabasca Glacier (snow bus) / Tangle Falls / Lodging in Jasper

Tuesday am Wilcox Pass / Mt. Edith Cavell time permitting / Lodging in Jasper

Wednesday am Parker Ridge / Maline Lake / Lodging in jasper

Thursday am drive Icefield Parkway back to Banff / Johnston Canyon / Lake Minnewanka / Stewart Canyon / Lodging in Banff

Friday hit anything we missed around Banff / drive to Calgary for Lodging

Saturday depart Calgary for Tennessee

9 Answers Apr 29, 2013 at 5:34 AM
    • swdke's Profile Photo

4 Night Itinerary: Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Which Locations and How Many Nights?

by swdke Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I am interested in a 4 night say in the Canadian Rockies. Fly into Calgary, then spend 4 nights in the mountains, then return to Calgary for a day at the Calgary Stampede. Traveling the first weekend in July. I am uncertain on how to spread out my 4 nights. I am interested in visiting Banff, Lake Louise, Banff, and all the attractions and sights in between. With 4 nights, where should we stay to maximize our visit? i.e. one night Banff, one night Jasper, one night Lake Lousie, one night back at one of the previous locations? Basically just doing a sighteseeing roadtrip, but want to be sure to see all the sights. What's the best itinerary to place ourselves each night in order to maximize our short visit and see as much as possible? Thanks for your itinerary suggestions.

9 Answers Mar 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    • Help on itinerary for Lake Louise,Jasper & Banff

by afraidofgrizzly Online Now Jun 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I will be traveling july 28-aug.9 2012 Flying into Calgary. I will post my itinerary and if anyone can give me some help on what to see and do within the time frame I would much appreciate it.

July 28- fly into Calgary and drive to Lake Louise-after arriving mid afternoon possibly take a Gondola ride.

July 29 - (Staying in Lake Louise)canoe at Chateu LL,walk around lake at Chateu LL,hike to tea house NOT SURE WHAT ELSE I CAN FIT INTO THIS DAY??

July 30- (staying in Lake Louise)go to YoHo to takkawaka falls,Emerald lake,Morraine Lake and Lake Ohara CAN THIS BE DONE ALL IN ONE DAY?? OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING ELSE INSTEAD??

July 31- (Drive to Jasper) along the way stop at Bow Lake,Peyto Lake,Icefields

Aug.1-(JASPER) Boat trip on Maligne Lake/Spirit Island,walk on trails around Maligne Lake-ARE THERE ANY SPESIFIC EAST TRAILS TO CONSIDER??

Aug.2-(JASPER)Go to MT.Edith Cravel,Tram Ride,Athabasca Falls DON'T KNOW IF THESE
      THINGS ARE CLOSE BY TO EACH OTHER AND IF THEY CAN ALL BE DONE IN ONE DAY??

Aug.3-(JASPER)Sunwapta Falls,Horseback ride or take a Athabasca river raft trip? ANY OPINIONS??

Aug.4 (Leave Jasper drive to Banff) Go on tram ride in Banff,go into town.

Aug.5-8 (BANFF) I NEED SUGGESTIONS FOR 3 1/2 FULL DAYS IN BANFF. These are some options that I was told- Waterfalls(but I don't know where or the names),Spray River loop hike,Bow Valley Float trip (in evening),hoodoos,Johnston Canyon,any small easy walks/hikes (I am afraid of the bears,is there a guide that I could hire?)

Aug.8-Leave Banff in afternoon and drive to Calgary Airport

Aug.9- fly home

• Finalizing a Banff itinerary

by PuckAndTravel Online Now May 12, 2012 at 7:29 PM

After getting a better idea of trip duration from my dad and taking advice from my earlier thread into consideration, I think I know what I want to fit into two days, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it and where to stay. That's where I need some recommendations.

We're departing from North Dakota probably on July 8 and driving up to Regina for a Roughriders game. After staying the night there, we plan on driving to Calgary (or Cochrane because hotel rates seem to be high because of the Calgary Stampede). From Calgary/Cochrane we would head into Banff National Park and spend two nights in the area. After the second night, we would drive to Waterton National Park, which leaves a bit of time that day to either do a couple more things in Banff or do something in Waterton.

The following are the things I want to see in Banff (and Yoho):

Banff area
      Johnston Canyon
      Takkakaw Falls (Yoho)
      Lake Louise
      Moraine Lake
      Peyto Lake
      Icefields Parkway up to Athabasca Glacier

How would I best fit this into two full days plus maybe part of a third? And where should I stay the two nights in the park?

6 Answers Apr 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    • Two days in the Canadian Rockies

by PuckAndTravel Online Now May 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM

My family is considering heading up to the Canadian Rockies after spending time in Glacier (the American one)/Waterton. We'd probably spend a night at the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton and then head up to Banff.

I need more details from my dad, but I'm assuming we'd spend about two days in the area. If that's the case, what's the best way to spend two days? Is it best to just stay in Banff National Park since it's a short amount of time, or would visiting Jasper, Yoho, or Kootenay be a good idea?

What are some things that are must-see or must-do? No long, less-frequented trails because my dad freaks out about bears and refuses to allow it. Any shorter and more popular trails that we should take?

Anything worth our time in Calgary?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm pretty much researching this myself, and there is so much information to sort through.

4 Answers Mar 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    • Getting from Yellowstone to the Canadian Rockies?

by jongee123 Online Now Apr 27, 2012 at 8:57 AM

My wife and I will be in Jackson, WY in mid-July to visit Yellowstone, and wanted to rent a car and drive up to Glacier NP and then to the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper), and return the car and fly back to NY from Calgary. I know it’s a bit of a drive to get all the way up there but we like driving!

The problem is when I searched for rental cars (on hotwire.com etc) the prices they quote for a one-way between Jackson and Calgary are400 per *day* for the smallest car... I was hoping someone could perhaps offer advice on reasonable alternatives to get from Jackson to Banff… is the only way really to fly?

Thanks!

9 Answers May 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    • Camping in Banff/Jasper NP area - reservations needed

by skarykari Online Now Apr 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM

We will be exploring the Banff and Jasper NP area for 8 days, from June 26 through July 3. We are hoping to tent/car camp each night and are wondering how crowded the campgrounds are during this time.

We really prefer to travel with as open an itinerary as possible and so we would like to avoid making any reservations. Is this possible?

We are not picky and are willing to stay at the less scenic/popular/serviced camgrounds if needed. Our concern is mainly that we'll end up either wasting far too many hours driving around trying to find an open camp site each day, or we'll get skunked and end up having to fork over alot of money for an expensive hotel room.

We do know that showing up early before check-out time is the best strategy. Just looking for a little persepective from someone who's actually been there camping during this time.

oh- also just relized we booked during Canada Day! How much does this affect the campgrounds in the area?

Thanks!

2 Answers Apr 26, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    • How to see the Canadian Rockies in a logical manner

by jerrybarach Online Now Feb 22, 2012 at 5:34 AM

My wife and I are planning a trip by car to the Canadian Rockies in mid-June (hopefully to beat some of the summer rush) and would like advice as to how to do this in the most logical manner (geographically speaking) on an east to west basis. SPecifically we want to know where the best "sumping off" airport would be to start the car trip; a suggested route and stopping off points; and where to wind up so that we can catch a flight to Seattle. How many days would we need for this (we're not hikers)? Any advice will be appreciated.

4 Answers Mar 7, 2012 at 10:50 PM
    • DRIVING FROM GLACIER NP WEST ENTRANCE

by dilyse Online Now Sep 1, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Hi- My wife and I will be driving our 30 ft motor home from West Glacier, MT to Banff next week. My GPS wants to suggest routes that I know won't work(such as through Glacier National Park up and over). Can someone please give me "real world" advice as to the best route to drive my RV and the estimated drive time? THANKS!!

• 2 week itinerary - a few questions left please comment THANKS

by suziq999 Online Now Jun 26, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I've got an updated itinerary - taking into consideration some suggestions that were offered earlier. Please let me know if this makes sense travel-wise and all.

There are a few questions intermingled I still have in the planning, please help out if you can. THANKS!

Day 1: Arrive Calgary

Day 2: Drive to Banff - bow lake/gondola. Stay at 2 Jack Lake

Day 3: Banff - L Minnewanka, Whyte Museum. Stay 2 Jack Lake

Day 4: Day trip to Kootenay - either stay there at hot springs or back in Banff? Is it too far to drive there & back in one day?

Day 5: Drive to LL along Bow Valley Parkway. Stay at LL tent site

Day 6: L Louise - either Agnes Tea house hike or 6 glaciers hike (which is better???) canoe on the lake. Stay LL tent.

Day 7: Yoho - tak falls, natural bridge, etc. stay @ tak falls tent

Day 8: Lake Ohara (is that possible? Am I too late?) Or hoodoos hike. Stay Tak falls tent.

Day 9: Ice fields parkway. Bow lake/Peyto Lake. Stay Num Ti Jah Lodge

Day 10: Columbia Ice fields in AM, Wilcox pass in PM. Stay at wilcox creek tent camping.

Day 11: to Jasper - athabasca falls/Mt Edith Cavall. Stay in a hotel in Jasper

Day 12: Maligne canyon/lake/cruise. Stay in same hotel.

Day 13: Day trip to Mt Robson park or stay in Mt Robson & camp? Is it worth a day trip if we don't hike all the way to Berg Lake? We could walk to Kinney Lake.

Day 14: Drive back to Calgary (should we drive back through Banff or through Edmonton?)

THANKS ALL CAN'T WAIT.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Bugs, etc.

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 10, 2011 at 10:43 AM

My wife and a friend are planning to spend 2 weeks hiking in the Canadian Rockies (Banff, Jasper, Kootnay, Yoho and Waterton Lake National Parks) in mid-June. What are the biting and stinging insects (mosquitos, black flies, etc.) like at that time of year?

7 Answers Feb 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    • crazybusymom's Profile Photo

Pre-Christmas dining in Banff, Lake Louise & Jasper

by crazybusymom Online Now Nov 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Need suggestions for family meals on our Christmas trip to Banff, Lake Louise & Jasper - while several fancy meals are included in our package - we have several meals open - & while the Fairmont hotel restaurants are wonderful (&$$) - we're wanting some other options for good food that is kid friendly, less expensive & less formal.

Should we stick with the hotels for breakfast? Are the buffets worth it?

Should we dine at the Post Hotel in Lake Louise for dinner? They have a better Zagats rating - but...

6 Answers Dec 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    • Help to plan itinerary for a 10-day trip to Banff/Jasper National Park

by ranjeevp Online Now Aug 6, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Hi,

We are planning a visit to the Banff/Jasper National Park area for 10 days in August.

Can you please help us plan our itinerary for must-see locations? We are traveling with 2 kids (6 and 4 yrs. old) and prefer some good easy hikes.

Thanks.

7 Answers Oct 19, 2010 at 4:26 PM