Banff National Park Travel Answers

change location

Optimal route to cover banf and Jasper

by gulli Online Now May 18, 2006 at 10:45 AM

Hi All:

We have a total of 5 and 1/2 days to visit Banf and Jasper. Currently our booking is flying in and out of Calgary.
1)Our plan is to drive from Calgary to Jasper through highway #93, stay for that night- stay near Jasper
2)Next day see more of Jasper- stay near Jasper
3)Head back from Jasper to Banf area highway 93, visit some spots, stay near Banf
4)Visit Banf area-stay near Banf
5)same as above
6)Head back to calgary by evening.

My questions is:
1) We will be driving through highway 93 twice, I know it is a scenic drive and all, but was wondering will it make more sense if we could fly out of Edmunton, that way we visit banf from calgary and then head to Jasper and drive to edmunton. We have no interest checking out either calgary or edmunton and are using those points for pure entry and exit.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks
Gulli

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Optimal route to cover banf and Jasper

by ltt Online Now May 18, 2006 at 11:31 AM

you could fly out of edmonton but the road from jasper to edmonton is not especially scenic so i probably wouldn't.
    hwy 93 is beautiful and i doube you'll regret driving it both ways.
    however, another option that i'd probably choose would be...the calgary airport is on the north end of town. so it is very easy to leave there and head north on hwy 2 until just before red deer. turn west on hwy 11 which goes through rockey mountain house. stay on this road and it will intercept hwy 93. then take that to jasper.
    then when you return to banff from jasper, you can drive the entire length of 93.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines