Banff

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• calgary trains

Calgary Apr 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM

how much fare does it cost if I ride from Marlborough station to chinook station?

more
    • Jasper Itinerary

Jasper National Park Mar 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I'm celebrating the big 60 - so I want to make this day special towards the end of June

Planned itinerary: Hotel is in Patricia Ave Jasper

Early trip on Parkfields Iceway - first trip out! continue to Maligine Canyon - Google puts this round trip as 56 minutes - then approx. 2 hours for Parkfields Iceway

Then head in the opposite direction to Moose Lake, Berg Lake - OK I accept we have to come back into Jasper first as Moose Lake is in exactly the opposite direction. Google maps puts this at 54 minute drive

We tend to leave the hotel at about 8am, arrive back by 8pm having eaten and head straight to bed - case of seeing as much as we can - we adjust itineraries on the day as some places are too far. I might be 60 but I'm super charged and have been know to wear my sons out with our previous sightseeing!!

Evening meal: yes I want something nice but restaurant prices seem horribly expensive - could possibly take in lunch instead - thinking of Downstream Restaurant or Jasper Brewing Company - both seem to have reasonably priced food with a fairly decent selection. We can't afford to go too much upmarket as we're on a budget.

Plan to do Lake Louise Lake Bow and others from Canmore

Hoping someone can make my big 60 special! Thanks

more
    • Best time for wildflowers

Banff National Park Apr 9, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Our summer/fall is open. What's the best time for wildflowers in Canadian Rockies and best time for clear skies? I realize the latter is very unpredictable!

more
    • Hot Springs

Jasper National Park Apr 4, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Given that there are 3 hot springs within the par - Banff Hot springs, Radium & Miette which is the best - we could do either of them - more interested in the scenic views. We will be there 22 June until 1st July - will it be warm enough outside in a swimsuit?

Any other addition advice for a newbie visiting Canada for the first time much appreciated. Driving from Canmore through to Jasper on the Canadian Trans high way and looking forward to it. Trying to sort out fuel stations en route - any recommendations please?

Many thanks

more
    • Fuel stops/Rest Stations

Jasper National Park Apr 7, 2014 at 1:29 AM

We are driving the Trans Canadian Highway from Canmore to Jasper in the middle of June. I have been trying to find out rest stations/fuel stations enroute. The only ones I can see are: Hardisty & Deadmans Flat. Someone has mentioned that there is one at Skatchewan Crossing and that it is expensive. Whilst we will start with a full tank of fuel it would be nice to know in advance where the next fuel station is in case we hit traffic. We intend taking a picnic with us but need comfort stops - which are the best stations and the ones to avoid

Many thanks

more
    • Allisonduro's Profile Photo

Living and working in Banff

by Allisonduro Online Now Feb 19, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Hey, Ive been traveling the last 8 months primarily through Asia and now in Europe. Im from Montreal Canada and am heading back home in April but have been rethinking living in Montreal. I have always wanted to travel to Alberta as im big on hiking,camping and snowboarding but have never had the opportunity. I lived in Vancouver during the Olympics for 4 months and never had a chance to go to Alberta. How easy would it be to get a descent job? Im a 28 year old female that has loads of work experience including retail managing and insurance at Standard life. I also Have a bachelors degree in Human Relations.

4 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    • WesleyL's Profile Photo

Motorcycle travel in late May

by WesleyL Online Now Feb 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I have the last week in May off, and want to visit Banff during that time. I know it'll still be chilly during the day, but from my web research, it should be above freezing, averaging around 40-50F. Would that be a fair assumption?

Would I be limited to the major thorough fares (CA-1), or would most roadways be clear of ice and snow by that time?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2 Answers Feb 26, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    • My Final Trip- Need some review

by trraveltheworld Online Now Feb 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Hi
      This is what I ended up planning and need some advice from local members:

I need one help- I have one extra day (Feb 24) at Banff/or Calgry and need some planning help. How do you guys suggest I spend that day? Me & My wife are adventurous so do not mind activities. I can spend a day at Banff or Calgary or drive around. Suggestions pls.

Feb 20- See calgary
      Feb 21- Sking lessons at Mt Norquay
      Feb 22- Snow shoeing + Snow Mobiling (2-3hrs)
      Feb 23- Half day ice Climbing (2hrs) & maybe half a day sking
      Feb 24- NEED HELP
      Feb 25 go back to Calgary & fly back

Thanks

3 Answers Feb 18, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    • Looking for Group to join- Ice Climbing? Group Discount- get in touch

by trraveltheworld Online Now Feb 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Hi
      We are two people and I am looking for other members who wishes to do Ice Climbing as a group lessons. We will be doing ice climbing as beginners. I will be there at Banff on Feb 21 to Feb 24

Any members who wish to join as group, please let me know coz that makes a huge price difference in rates for the ice climbing lessons.

Thanks

• Car Rental

by trraveltheworld Online Now Feb 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Hi,
      I am planning to come to Banff for the next week- Feb 21 to Feb 24. I dont have snow driving experience. I will be driving from calgary to Banff.

Although I plan to stay in Banff for 3-4 days, I see that most of the ski resort, tours like snow mobling, icewalks etc etc do pickups etc. Hence I do not see much car travel. Maybe will use car for nearby 15-20 min drive.

Can I go with compact cars? I see the prices are half than full size.

Recommendations pls

3 Answers Feb 14, 2014 at 11:48 PM
    • Getting to Banff and not driving around? Is it easy to access all the sites?

by MM_L Online Now Jan 27, 2014 at 4:21 AM

Hi there,

Planning a trip in April 2014 from Vancouver to Banff. Are there any recommendations on: 1. Best, easiest and most scenic route from Vancouver to Banff - via trains / buses? I will not be driving 2. Is it easy to get around Banff on public transport? 3. Can I get to Lake Louise, the national parks and all the other tourist spots without a car?
      4. Would 4 days be enough to to all of the above?

Any tips would be much appreciated. I really wanted to do the rocky mountineer but that doesnt start til the end of April and I will be travelling at the very beginning of April.

Many thanks
      Anita

11 Answers Apr 3, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    • Available activities in April

by ginngilaina Online Now Jan 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Planning a trip to Banff, but it looks like the soonest we could come is in April. From what I've read, skiiing is still available at that time, but it sounds like we might be too late for other winter activities (icewalks, shoeshoeing, dog sled) but probably too early for the summer activities.

What are you thoughts on Banff in April...will there be enough to do for several days? Or will some of the Winter activities still be going on at that time?

2 Answers Jan 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    • Backpack for 2 months

by Stephanyd22 Online Now Jan 3, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Hi!
      I'm leaving for Western Canada this summer with only a backpack for luggage! I need to buy a new one, and I don't know a lot about backpacks since it is my first big trip! I hesitate between a 60L and 70L... Does a 70L is too big??
      Thank you!!

7 Answers Jan 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM
    • Muggings & Crime

by crazymum Online Now Jan 2, 2014 at 12:59 AM

TV interview with the charity runner who was mugged recently has said it is not "if" you are mugged it is "when" you are mugged. My husband and I are driving from Canmore to Jasper - had planned to visit Banff - just how safe is this route and should we adjust our trip to avoid getting mugged - OK there are pickpockets in every city and you have to be as streetwise as possible, but comments such as expect to get mugged in Banff has put us off of visiting. Comments welcomed please. Thankxs

7 Answers Jan 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM
    • Banff for 8 nights or Banff 5 nights plus Fernie 3nights?

by AilsaJean Online Now Oct 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Hi. My partner and I have already booked 5 nights in Banff in the middle of December. We're wanting to spend the majority of time snowboarding. We're both begginer/intermediate boarders and in our late twenties/ early thirties. We have an extra 3 nights after this to stay somewhere in the Banff area but just can't decide whether to remain in Banff town or to go explore more mountains elsewhere like Fernie? Any advice would be much appreciated.

3 Answers Oct 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    • Best place to stay?

by Jo_Miles Online Now Sep 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Hi! My boyfriend and I are looking to come to Banff for a skiing holiday for a month in January. We have found a lovely, reasonably priced apartment in Canmore, would this be too far from the ski resorts? We are ideally looking for an apartment or something like that rather than a hotel so we can stay in and cook to save on money. I can't seem to find many apartments in Banff centre?
      My boyfriend is a ski instructor but I'm a bit of a novice so will not want to ski everyday, would you recommend any other places to visit? We are considering getting a car but trying to stick to a budget! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
      Thanks, Jo

4 Answers Oct 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    • samm.xoxox's Profile Photo

Banff in October?

by samm.xoxox Online Now Sep 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Hi..I'm thinking of travelling to Banff for my 23rd birthday. I was just wondering if there is much of a nightlife October? We would be coming for the weekend on the 4-6. And any suggestions of things to do during the day?

3 Answers Oct 1, 2013 at 4:59 AM
    • driving to Banff from Calgary

by cjsommerville Online Now Jul 27, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Hi there I'm flying to Calgary and thinking of driving to Banff eeekkk I'm from Australia on vacation and on my own I can drive here back home :) it looks like an easy drive??? I'll be doing this in November, any advice for this Aussie traveller?

6 Answers Sep 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    • Summer Skiing / Boarding

by gbded1 Online Now Jul 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Is there any snowboarding / skiing open in the summer? Am thinking about next year at the end of the summer.

Thanks

2 Answers Jul 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    • Where should I spend more time: Rocky or Vancouver?

by wahidrahman Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Hi..We 8 friends are planning to give our first tour to Vancouver through rocky in Last week of April. We have total 8 days for the tour. We live at Winnipeg and we gonna take two cars and drive to Banff first then Jasper and finally to Vancouver. But we are not sure where should we stay more. We are planning to give 3 days in Vancouver and 3 days in Banff+Jasper. Some of us think that Vancouver is better than rocky and some of us think just the opposite. Can anybody help us to suggest about it? Since we, nobody, ever visited these area, we are confused about. We want to use our time and money efficiently as well.

10 Answers Apr 24, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    • webgrove

by webgrove Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM

We will be in Banff for 2 nights, what suggestions would anyone have to do around Banff. We will be in Lake Louise for 2 nights as well.

5 Answers Mar 19, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    • Age groups in Banff

by w_c9 Online Now Jul 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Hi everyone, I'm strongly considering going to Banff for some work and I was wondering what the age group is there? I'll be 26 by the time I go and I'm wondering if I'll feel older with all the younger (18-21, 22) people working there? Is it more of a mixed crowd with the age groups because I have heard that Banff is mostly a young person town. I'm extremely interested in the life style that Banff has to offer with all the outdoor adventure and activities but don't really care to be hanging out with people 8 years younger than me. Thanks in advance.

7 Answers Oct 23, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    • HELP - Getting married at Lake Moraine September 2012 - Need ideas of places to stay, things to do

by arabucki Online Now May 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM

We are coming from Michigan to get married at Moraine Lake this September and are starting to line up hotels in the Canmore, Banff and Jasper areas as we want to drive each day to see something new. We will be in the area for one week.

I have a few questions for everyone:

1) What are must sees in each of these areas?
      2) Which places would you recommend staying in each of these areas? We tend to like unique, funky types of places to stay such as treehouses, igloos, etc. Is there anything like this there? If not unique, other gorgeous places to stay?
      3) Best places to see wildlife???

Thank you SO much everyone! We are really hoping to make this honeymoon/wedding beyond memorable!

5 Answers May 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    • Hays37's Profile Photo

Winter Start 2012

by Hays37 Online Now Apr 19, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Hi Everyone,
      I have been reading through the posts on here, very useful info!
      I am in the UK and I've signed up with an agency called Smaller Earth so I can work and travel in Canada. Basically, they gaurentee me a job in a ski resort for the first 6/7 months of my stay then I can travel the rest of the country.

If I get my first choice, I'll be doing bar work at sunshine village and living in Banff...or one of the cheaper towns near by.

Is anyone on here heading out a similar time? I plan to stay at Samesun Hostel for the first couple of weeks til I can find people to live with. Bit scary as I'm going alone and am a little concerned as to whether I will be able to handle the extreme cold but I'm really looking forward to the adventure! Anyone who's in the same boat then message back :) Also any tips from the pros would be most useful.

7 Answers Jun 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    • Banff national park pass

by Alisonpj Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Hi
      I'm travelling to Banff on the train from Vancouver and will be staying in Banff for a few nights. I'm hiring a car (probably drive up to Lake Louise) in Banff and then will drive down to Calgary airport. Do I need to buy a national park pass only when I pick the hire car up in Banff and have it for the number of days I have the car? And if so, where can I buy one? Very confused - my travel agent doesn't seem to know!!

Thanks!

4 Answers Apr 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    • banff vs vancouver for summer work

by conall01 Online Now Jan 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Hello,

Recently posted on Vancouver forum, about living and working there for summer. We are 4 Irish friends (age 21/22) wanting to come out at the start of May to live and work in Canada.

Was told about option of Banff, and its something ive definitely warmed to, but friends are still unconvinced and think vancouver would be better.

What would peopl advise?

Obviously good nightlife/party vibe is very important - (friends werent convinced banff had enough bars/clubs)

Job market - Ease of getting a good servers job in vancouver ( i know itll be relatively easy in banff)

Things to do during day - (Friends were worried Banff is too small and we'd end up bored if we were there for 11/12 weeks)

Weather - they think being in rockies, the weather wont be as good as in vancouver.

Any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated. Basically im all for banff, but friends need more convincing on its party-credentials

13 Answers Mar 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    • Car hire advice.

by Herbert79 Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Hi, we are heading to Alberta for a month of skiing (resort and backcountry) plus some ice climbing.
      We are planning on hiring a car and wondered what sort of vehicle we need. Ie, do we need a 4x4?
      Thanks for any tips

3 Answers Jan 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    • Traveling Banff to Whistler

by sandy_3334 Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 2:35 AM

Hey guys, I am traveling to Banff at the start of February from Australia, will be hiring a car and driving to Banff for a week of skiing between the 3 resorts. I would then like to head to Whistler. What is the best way get from Banff to Whistler? I would like to drive but is this possible over winter? and if so what route is best?

5 Answers Jan 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    • twilightmuse's Profile Photo

getting around.

by twilightmuse Online Now Dec 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I'm planning a surprise get away for my husband's b-day in March. I was thinking of spending a weekend in Banff. I'm planning on taking a greyhound into town. I read on the Banff tourist site that some of the resorts/hotels offer shuttle buses to the ski resorts. My question is has anyone used public transportation to get to the attractions? I was thinking of maybe the Gondola ride and lake Louise and the hot springs would be fun. The tourist site said there is public transportation to get you through-out the town. Just wondering what people have experienced.
      Thanks

6 Answers Jan 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    • Anyone Traveling to Banff in 2012?????

by Janece101 Online Now Sep 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Hi Guys!
      Im wondering if there are any Australian's travelling to Banff/Canada in 2012?
      Im heading over about May next year for a working holiday by myself and it would be great to know if anyone is doing the same!
      Im a 20 year old female and im currently organising a trip through the Global Work & Travel Company.
      Any travel advice/tips/stories you have on Banff or Canada in general would be fab! :)

6 Answers Oct 5, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    • Banff Trip in July

by azimmerman11 Online Now Mar 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Trying to plan a backcountry trip to Banff in July. Did an 8 day trip in Glacier National Park last year, wanted to do 6 days in Banff this summer. Saw on their website that a good 6 day grip is the SawBack Trail. Coming from the states and need to fly. I'm assuming the Calgary is the best place to fly into. How hard is it to get transportation from there? Figure we'll need a hotel for the last night after we get out, any suggestions?

I know this is kind of vague, just starting trip planning and not sure where to start for this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Answer Mar 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    • Karlie85's Profile Photo

Where to get married in Banff/Canmore?

by Karlie85 Online Now Mar 1, 2011 at 10:00 AM

My friend is looking to get married in Banff or Canmore on the weekend of August 20. She's been looking around, contacting hotels, but isn't really interested in a lot of the packages the hotels offer (or they don't fit into her budget).

Can anyone suggest a space for a wedding in Banff or Canmore that isn't at a hotel? (Or if you know of any great wedding packages at a hotel, that, too. Not sure what their budget is) For example, we got married a few years ago at a museum in Edmonton and she really liked that idea.

I should also add that they will only be having 50 people max.

Thanks!

4 Answers Apr 5, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    • touristgal's Profile Photo

Driving to Banff from Seattle

by touristgal Online Now Feb 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hi,

I am staying in Seattle till June. Only have a 4 to 5 day time span to go to Banff. I would like to drive, so that I may stop where I want when I want. What must I NOT miss? Would like to keep prices down. How far is Lake Lousie and Jasper from Banff? I plan on doing this in early April or first week end in May.

I have always wanted to go here but never had the chance. Just have to MAKE it happen while semi close!!

Thank YOU!!

9 Answers Mar 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    • What to wear!!

by helens23 Online Now Dec 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM

This is a typical girls question but wondering how dressy/casual banff is on a night.

Basically I want to know if, being a girl in my 20s, can I live in my Uggs for 11 nights or if we go to bars/nightclubs am I going ot have to be a bit more presentable?!

Thanks

6 Answers Jan 6, 2011 at 2:35 AM
    • nycgem28's Profile Photo

Visiting Banff the last wk of Dec

by nycgem28 Online Now Nov 26, 2010 at 8:16 PM

A friend and I will be visiting Banff for 4 days during the last wk of Dec. We will fly into Calgary and head straight for Banff. Could someone please advise if you would rent a car or go entirely via public transportation? Am aware of the shuttle that I could take from the airport. I don't mind driving and like the idea of driving around Banff and nearby area but unsure if the road conditions would making driving difficult.

Would also appreciate any recommendations on lodging - nothing fancy, just clean & safe.

Thanks!

9 Answers Jan 6, 2011 at 12:36 AM