Banff Travel Answers

change location

Banff Trip in July

by azimmerman11 Online Now Mar 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Trying to plan a backcountry trip to Banff in July. Did an 8 day trip in Glacier National Park last year, wanted to do 6 days in Banff this summer. Saw on their website that a good 6 day grip is the SawBack Trail. Coming from the states and need to fly. I'm assuming the Calgary is the best place to fly into. How hard is it to get transportation from there? Figure we'll need a hotel for the last night after we get out, any suggestions?

I know this is kind of vague, just starting trip planning and not sure where to start for this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Banff Trip in July

by tofino_surfer Online Now Mar 21, 2011 at 5:39 PM

You are right in that Calgary is the airport to use. There are daily shuttles from the airport to Banff and Lake Louise. The SawBack trail runs from the Mt. Norquay ski area overlooking Banff to the Fish Creek trailhead near the Lake Louise ski area. In July the Norquay ski area will be closed but a short taxi ride from Banff will get you to the trailhead. I recommend hiking North from Banff to Louise as it will be easier getting a taxi from downtown Banff to Norquay than back from an empty ski area. At the other end the Louise ski area runs a sightseeing gondola during the summer. It will be easier getting a lift from this area back to Lake Louise village itself. From the village you can take Brewster shuttles back to Banff and the Calgary airport.

As for the hotel what time is your flight out ? Were you planning on staying in Banff or Lake Louise ?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines