Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• JaySS's Profile Photo

Mardi Himal trek - eastern side

Annapurna Himal Aug 26, 2015 at 3:56 AM

Mardi Himal trek - eastern side

I'm planning to do the Mardi Himal trek around late Sept. this year. Rob into-thin-air has posted an excellent guide here on VT covering the main trail on the western side up to Mardi Himal Base Camp West, doable as a teahouse trek all the way:
      "Mardi Himal Trek" - Nepal Travelogue by into-thin-air

But if possible I'd also like to get a bit more to the east toward MHBC South, teahouse-style w/o camping. I'd originally thought of going up that way and returning on the western side to finish up at Jhinu Danda hot spring, as Rob did (great memories from the ABC trek!). But now I'm leaning toward starting on the main western trail since it's more gradual -- seems the eastern route is steeper, more appropriate for a quick descent. Also the west is definitely doable teahouse-style, making for a good leisurely start, and it may be possible to get pointers from the staff there, maybe even a local guide. (I'll be going as a FIT if it's still allowed.) So far all the info I've found about the eastern side is for organized camping treks (part is included in the Machapuchare Model Trek).

So if anyone has been on that side recently or can provide links, any general info or specific info about teahouse accommodation would be much appreciated, particularly on these routes:
      1) High Camp (West) > MHBC South > Korchon > Khumai Danda > Mirsa/Kharpani
      2) High Camp (West) > MHBC South > Korchon > Premo-Shyo > Pilicho > Karuwa

The 2nd route is longer but another viewpoint is marked above Premo-Shyo. For both, only campsites are shown on my map (Nepal Map Publisher 'ABC-Mardi Himal'). ... Maybe possible to carry a bit of food & bivvy one night but I won't be packing a tent.

Finally, is anyone familiar with the little hot spring at Kharpani? (always nice to finish the trek with a soak!) ... the organized-trek notes seem to indicate the area has recovered from the devastating 2012 flood.

P.S. Here's a sketch map that shows the main western & eastern routes (heavy gray lines indicate ridgelines):
      farm1.staticflickr.com/608/2...

more
    • Mandiann's Profile Photo

traveling Kathmandu

Kathmandu Yesterday

My husband has the opportunity to travel for work aiding The World Hunger Group into Kathmandu. Someone else turned the trip down because he thought travel was unsafe. What are the current conditions?

more