Bandarawela Travel Answers

change location

orphanages or old age homes in Bandarawela

by gunapalan Online Now Jul 5, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Me and wife planned to visit Bandarawela sometime in Aug/Sep. We want to do some charity to an orphanage or old age home during our visit. Can someone provide me a lead to a deserving organization?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: orphanages or old age homes in Bandarawela

by ranger49 Online Now Jul 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM

You have not said where you are from but I wonderif you are connected with a church, Rotary Club, Lions or any other local charitable organisations.Have you investigated the possibility of there being a Sri Society anywhere near or even a Sri Lanka Associaltion. Many were set up in the UK following the Tsunami and it was through such a group that two of my daughters went out many times in the early years giving practical assistance in building homes.
    Volunteers in care establishments, with only a short time to give, may sometimes be more of a hindrance than a help. The regular routine of the place may not adjust well to "visitors" undertaking some of the personal. one to one tasks, particularly if there is a language barrier.

But practical work in the grounds , DIY on the building, or a particular skill like music - piano playing and so on.could be welcome.
    I encourage you to make some local enquires in your own area whilst waiting to see if something specific is suggested.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: orphanages or old age homes in Bandarawela

by gunapalan Online Now Jul 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Thank You, I am not connected to any organization. We are from India and it so happens our wedding anniversary falls during one of the days we plan to visit Bandarawela. We wanted to do some small charity on that day. It is just a good intention and nothing more.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

Re: orphanages or old age homes in Bandarawela

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Jul 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

hmmm, Bandarawela is so small, relatively, but there are a couple churchs as well as of course Buddhist center, so I am sure that if you could find out their names you might be able to set something up ahead of time; but otherwise just contact them while there.......or query an organization in Colombo?

• Re: orphanages or old age homes in Bandarawela

by gunapalan Online Now Jul 13, 2012 at 11:34 PM

thank you

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines