Ban Khao Lak Travel Answers

change location

Merlin Beach or South Sea Pakarang

by Plona Online Now Feb 18, 2004 at 5:19 AM

Obviously a lot of construction is/was going on in the Khao Lak area as new hotels are/were build. We plan to spend some time in Khao Lak in April 2004, but cannot find the right information. We are that kind of spoiled travelers who like to spend their holiday in a really nice, luxury and quiet surrounding. In the Dutch travel brochures we could for that purpose find the Khao Lak Merlin Beach and the South Sea Pakarang Resort. It is however very hard to get some inside information, probably due to the newness of the hotels. There is also some confusion about the South Sea Pakarang being the same hotel as the Blue Village Pakarang resort. For that matter, we read a very bad review on the latter. Can anybody tell us more and give us a hint on which of the two to choose? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • johnnymoretti's Profile Photo

RE: Merlin Beach or South Sea Pakarang

by johnnymoretti Online Now Mar 15, 2005 at 5:03 PM

Hello,

I was a volunteer relief worker in the Khao Lak area during January. I stayed at the Merlin Resort Khao Lak. The hotel is completely operational, although the low-lying villas and rooms are either destroyed or need complete renovation. All the ammenaties and restaurants are up and running and I must say the food was delicious. It is a 5-Star resort and it lived up to its name even under such adverse conditions. There are lots of other hotels opening up in the area, but you may have to contact them directly. I can assure you that the Merlin is doing well. Incidently, they let us know that no one lost their lives there, that everyone got out alive.

Good luck on your search and vacation. I will be returning to Khao Lak later this year, perhaps to live. I love it there and I love the people. I am a pro photographer and have a site at www.johnmoretti.com. I have some photos of Khao Lak and will have more later this month when I return from Bolivia.

Goodspeed to all,
    Johnny Moretti
    Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • johnnymoretti's Profile Photo

RE: Merlin Beach or South Sea Pakarang

by johnnymoretti Online Now Mar 15, 2005 at 5:22 PM

My apologies on my last post. I was mistaken on the date in the original post (April 2004) and made comments in reference to April 2005. I hope I didn't cause any harm.

Travel well,
    Johnny

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines