Bamako Travel Answers

change location
Indyexpat's Profile Photo

Bamako Personal Guide

by Indyexpat Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Forever I have wanted to see Africa and now work will allow me a week or two in Mali. I have not been before, am busy reading books and have had immunization for a few key things.

Is it possible to find a guide with excellent English skills, and a good local knowledge for my fledgling visit? I'd really like my first trip to be a great trip so I am not discouraged. I hear so many amazing things about Africa and I ant to see it this way!

In China this isn't hard to accomplish, in Mali, I have no clue! Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • sphynxxs's Profile Photo

Re: Bamako Personal Guide

by sphynxxs Online Now Aug 24, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Mali is francophone Africa, so the excellent English skills can be a bit hard to find. There are English speaking people - but let´s say, their language skills vary widely, and the really good ones are usually hooked up with NGOs or tour companies - finding an individual guide focussing just on you you will probably have to arrange with a tour operator. If you only have a week or so, Segou might be a good place to explore the famous mud architecture, have a boat ride on the Niger etc. Heading to the desert might take a bit long unless you are willing to fly. and of course you should try to get some taste of Malian music in Bamako!

Just a word of warning as you say this is your first trip to Africa - Mali is a fascinating country, but it is not really the "picturebook Africa" of savanahhs with thorn acacias and elephant herds many people have in mind when they think of Africa. Mali is Sahel and partly desert, a landscape and culture that is quite different from East Africa. I´m sure you won´t be dissapointed at all though!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Bamako