Ballarat Travel Answers

change location

convenient transport within the city

by sgindia Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 12:29 AM

I'm coming to Ballarat to study. Can anyone give me an idea of how convenient it is to get around the city by bus, how safe , how costly it is and whether the buses are regular and timely. I'm trying to decide between staying on campus (mt helen) or in off campus acco . I like solitude but I'd also want to be able to travel into town easily, especially on weekends. Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • RE: convenient transport within the city

by Anne12 Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 12:48 AM

Ballarat is not a huge city, It is easy to get around this area.
    It's a safe city, I wouldn't hang around the streets alone late at night, I wouldn't do that in any city:)
    The buses run regularly to all areas of Ballarat. I am trying to find the Bus timetable. The Davis Bus Lines is one that runs routes around the city.
    The local news Paper is the Courier, they have rental listing every day, especially Saturdays edition.
    There are 3 main areas for shopping. One is the Wendouree Village which has everything from supermarkets to clothing.
    The other area is Bridge Street Mall. This has 3/4 Large Supermarkets in this area plus other retail outlets.
    Then there is The Square which is off Myer in Sturt Street. Here you have more retail outlets.
    There is a Cinema which is good.
    There is Lake Wendouree that is a nice area. You can walk around the lake.
    There is a train to Melbourne daily. This takes about an hour.
    I will keep looking for the bus timetables for you.
    I live in Hepburn Springs which is about 40 minutes from Ballarat. I go there often.
    Please feel free to email me if you need any other help.
    Cheers
    Anne

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: convenient transport within the city

by Anne12 Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 12:55 AM

Here is one
    http://www.kefford.com.au/index.htm
    Scroll down to the Ballarat Bus Routes.

I am sure will be buses to Mt Helen as this is the main type of transport for the area.
    Hope this helps
    Anne

• RE: convenient transport within the city

by Anne12 Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 1:06 AM

Ok I am back again, I found this on the Mt Helen Campus web site.
    *Bus: There is a regular bus service from the city from Mon - Sat to the Mt Helen Campus.*
    cheers
    Anne

• Helium_Teapot's Profile Photo

RE: RE: convenient transport within the city

by Helium_Teapot Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 5:28 PM

Hi there,
    My sister is currently studying in Ballarat and tells me that the buses aren't fantastic (I think she said they stop or become very irregular after 6pm!).

I know that in the first year she stayed in a uni residency that was quite a distance from her campus (Camp Street) and she hated it. She has since moved into a private rental and is much happier but still finds it hard not having a car (to get food from supermarkets etc).

I'd recommend looking into getting accomadation as close to the campus you are studying on as possible and that you may prefer not living in a res. Whatever you plan on doing get onto your accomadation QUICK as she found it very hard to find somewhere.

by sgindia Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 6:59 PM

hi,

thanks a lot for your reply. i have applied for on-campus residence although the acco office seems very slow to even send me a credit card payment form and so i have time to rethink my application! i can see why a res at a distance from the campus would be a problem. you said i might not prefer a res, can you say a little more about that, please? is it just the distance or something else?

i find it odd too that the bus service stops after 6 , and according to one website there is no service after noon on weekends. evenings and weekends are very busy and social times in india so it seems really odd to me! is this typical of australia or just to do with smaller cities like ballarat?

nice to hear from you, thanks. and if u have any questions about india or mumbai, where i live, i'd be happy to answer them.

by Anne12 Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 7:42 PM

Hi again,
    In most small cities like Ballarat the shops are open Mon to Saturday afternoon except for some shops like Target and Myer which are bigger retail outlets.
    These also are open on Sundays.Saturday mornings are fairly busy.
    Also there is late night shopping on a Thursday night. The shops close at 9pm these nights. Some of the supermarkets are open 24 hours or to late at night.
    Othewise Ballarat is pretty quiet during the weekend.
    There are a number of cafe's open 7 days a week and people goes to these to meet and relax.
    If you are in or around the main central district it is to walk around the city area.
    There are taxi's that operate all the time. If you can afford to use these once a week this is another way to get into the city area.
    I am not sure what the cost would be.
    Also if you are living with other students there are sure to be a few with cars, once you get to know more people I am sure you will be able to get a lift into town.
    You will find it very different to Mumbia. It will seem like a deserted town to you:)When I visited Mumbai I was amazed at the huge population. Our population is so much smaller here.
    I am sure once you get your accommodation sorted it will be fine and you will enjoy your Australian experience.

Cheers
    Anne

by sgindia Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 7:45 PM

hi anne,
    thanks a lot for your replies. they gave me a bit of a feel for the place.
    i also looked up davis buses. again, as i had read elsewhere,i noticed their service is very limited on sundays.

i've read abt hepburn and the lavender farms. sounds like a nice place to live.

i enjoyed visiting your homepage. thanks for your offer of emailing u - i'll probably do that when i have more questions. and i'd be happy to tell you anything u want to know about mumbai or india.

thanks! shubha

by Anne12 Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 8:00 PM

Hello again Shubha,
    Have you seen this link
    ballarat.edu.au/fdp/commerci...
    This could also help you.
    Anne

by sgindia Online Now Nov 9, 2005 at 8:58 PM

Hi Anne,

Okay glad to know that there are some shops open till late. You're right about Ballarat being very different from Mumbai! I know I'll miss the buzz and vibrancy of Mumbai , but I am sure I'll get to like Ballarat too. By the responses I've got here, the people seem very friendly :-).
    Btw, I had checked out the uni acco page, but thanks anyway.

thanks and bye for now. cheers, shubha

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines