Balikpapan Travel Answers

change location
captain_crunch's Profile Photo

from balikpapan to brunei

by captain_crunch Online Now Dec 8, 2007 at 11:50 PM

greetings felow travellers..

i was just wondering, since i live in Balikpapan. i was thinking about driving my way in borneo, maybe go to Kota Kinabalu, or Brunei, and other places, but, is there really a road from Balikpapan to that upper borneo (Brunei and K.K.)?
i really want to go there...
so if you guys know hot to get there from Balikpapan, please help me out...

thx,
Felix

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: from balikpapan to brunei

by cgf Online Now Dec 9, 2007 at 9:45 AM

You can take a flight to Singapore (Silk-Air) or go to north and by boat to Tawau, then to Kota Kinabalu, or Brunei, and other places
    don't trust road over there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • captain_crunch's Profile Photo

by captain_crunch Online Now Dec 9, 2007 at 11:44 AM

hmm... yes, but that's still flying.... but there is a road right? because i really want to go with a car, i think that'll be fun,

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Dec 9, 2007 at 12:03 PM

You wrote: "since i live in Balikpapan"..
    I believe you'd better check there lastest news about road/path conditions, interruptions.. none more of who lives there could know it..
    From here I could say the fun could change a lot (more or less) from the car you have, I remember once in Sabah, to do about 25 km of a not paved road by car (Nissan X-Trial) it took more than an hour and we've been lucky it did not rain since two/three days and it was dry paving. 25km without circumnavigation of holes, of course :-)

• priVaTeer115's Profile Photo

by priVaTeer115 Online Now Jul 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Good day Felix,
    Go for the road trip.. I highly recommend it. I have been driving/riding for years from Singapore to Thailand, Cambodia, Burma.. Now want to explore Borneo with my bike next year. Since you live in Balikpapan you should ask around your mechanics and 4x4 clubs. Even motorcycle shops will know this.
    From the info I gather for my trip. You should drive to Kalimantan/Kuching border IDN Entikong checpoint. From there you can drive all the way to brunei and Kinabalu. Potholes, puncture tires are basic part of driving. have fun..

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines