Bali Travel Answers

change location

shopping in bali

by match399 Online Now Mar 11, 2008 at 9:52 AM

i am basically looking for gents t-shirts aand local printed shirts,butat a reaonable rate.need advise for discount marktes.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Deng249's Profile Photo

Re: shopping in bali

by Deng249 Online Now Mar 12, 2008 at 6:57 AM

I'm not sure what would be the quality of the shirts that you're looking for. The last I was in Bali, my friend bought a number of t-shirts and local shirts at the Sukawati. Got it for fraction of the price elsewhere.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mansionion's Profile Photo

by mansionion Online Now Mar 12, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Hi!

Yes, go to Sukowati market for souvenier shopping in Bali. Bargain at least 50% from the price asked by the vendors there. Last month when I was there, I paid less then Rp100,000 for 2 t-shirts, 2 local printed shirts and a long dress which is quite a bargain I think, maybe because I was the 1st customer of the day at the shop.

-m-

• floreshotels's Profile Photo

by floreshotels Online Now Mar 13, 2008 at 12:04 PM

There is a shop in Kuta namely Jogger its namely pabrik kata lkata ( The fabric of The words) Its is very famous in bali but you can ask every taxi driver, hotel staff everyone know it.
    The sddress is in Raya Tuban Street.
    Sum words is very funny !

The normal t-shirt is in Kuta also matahari Mall. In the centre of Kuta.

Happy Shopping !

• Re: shopping in bali

by khalid48 Online Now Mar 13, 2008 at 7:29 PM

well it depend on the quality that you want. At Sukawati, its very very cheap that you dont believe it .You can get it for as low as RP 20,000 if you know how to bargain. In fact you dont have to go to Sukawati, even a long the Legian Street or Poppy Lane or the market near Kuta Square, it is cheap. However quality wise it is debatable. But then even at the "quality" shop most the t-shirt is around RP 125,000. There is one shop though which to me sell a good quality t-shirt - the JOGER, not far from the airport. It is the shop where most domestic tourist go (those from Java and Sumatra, etc). Price range between RP 50,000 to RP 200,000.

• Ubudian's Profile Photo

by Ubudian Online Now Mar 15, 2008 at 7:01 PM

A few general tips, applicable for just about any kind of shopping in Bali:

1) If possible, shop in the morning. Most shops love to make an early first sale and will be more likely to give a great bargain. Always ask for the "harga" (price) "pagi", (morning) i.e. the morning price. Asking for that will indicate to the shop keeper that you are not new to this ritual, even if you are!

2) Unless the item is tagged, try to have a price in your mind before asking the price. In the Balinese mind, once you have asked for a price, you have indicated strong interest and to some degree, you are indebted (in their mind) to bargain. If you don't like the price, you are expected to bargain. Offer a price 30 or so percent below the initial asking price unless that would be too expensive in your mind in which case you could say, "ma'af" (sorry) "mahal" it's too expensive. A likely come back in that event would be for the shop keeper to ask you how much you want to pay. At that point you are almost trapped, but you could offer most anything as they asked.

3) What if the price is right? There is nothing wrong with paying full price if in your mind it is fair and you are happy to pay the asking price. You may note some disappointment on the face of the shop keeper who likely was looking forward to some serious bargaining. Personally I believe there is nothing wrong with this as the Balinese work hard for their money, and most of them could sure use the extra profit.

4) Finally, keep smiling and even offer a kind laugh or two during the whole process. For the Balinese, bargaining is like a virtual chess game, and they enjoy the process very much.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Bali Travel Answer Locations