Bali Travel Answers

change location

Bali and the Japan nuclear disaster

by moonbilly Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 5:43 AM

Hi,

we were planning a trip to Bali in May, but after the latest news from Japan we are wondering wether to cancel it. We are aware Bali is almost 6 000 km far from Japan, yet things in Japan seem to get worse every day - it is not clear yet where is the main leakege from, radioactive water has been throwing in the ocean since yesterday, etc... This makes us worried about the food, the water, the air in Bali...
We will appreciate if you share your information regarding Japan (probably we are missing something)...

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • sheherezad's Profile Photo

Re: Bali and the Japan nuclear disaster

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Ah, ya, yai!

> We are aware Bali is almost 6 000 km far from Japan

Exactly! Do check its geographical location, too, vs JP? :-)

Cheers!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ruffled's Profile Photo

by ruffled Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Hi Moonbilly,

Indonesia produces it own, well, produce. so it's unlikely that you will be eating stuff imported from japan unless you go out of your way for a Jap dinner. Regarding wind-directions, contaminated sea-water, I'm not worrying about any of that stuff just yet (I live in Singapore).
    The situation in Japan shouldn't worry you too much. :)

Have fun planning for your trip! :)

• theo1006's Profile Photo

by theo1006 Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Hi,

Where do you live? I suppose not in East- or South-East Asia. Because your question implies that most of the Chinese, Koreans, Thai, Malaysians, Philippinos, Indonesians, etc. could be at risk form the Japanese nuclear disaster. Surely their governments would make some noise.....

The world, and the Pacific Ocean, are bigger than you think. The Japanese are dumping radioactive water in the ocean, because they know that is the best way to dilute it. The effect will not be measurable around Bali.

Theo

• christabal's Profile Photo

by christabal Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Yes, would be nice to know from which part of the world you are from. All too often new VT members fail to input this information which makes giving appropriate responses more difficult. Travel opinions are often subjective and most of what is written is based on personal experience and personal to holder. You should then make up your own mind based on those information.

Personally, I would still make the trip. In life there are no guarantees and for all we know whatever has already gone round the world and governments are just keeping it quiet not to scare us all.. what a horrendous thought...

If in doubt, don't is probably the advise I would give. Probably we are all missing something.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 5, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Yes you are missing something. People are travelling to Japan and having a great time. Refuse and debris, caused by the tsunami is already on the beaches and coast of Washinton, Oregon and California. Radiation is being recorded in my country of Iceland, - so far from Japan that if you continued further, - you would be going back. Of course the damage from it is 1000 times less that having an X-ray.

My point is, you severely over-reacting. If I had a way to go now, I would not hesitate to visit Japan, - Tokyo and south thereof. To miss out on Bali due to the what happened in Japan would be a shame. Have fun....d:o)

• Re: Bali and the Japan nuclear disaster

by unknown.2121 Online Now Apr 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM

Hi,

In march there was an earthquake recorded in Bali. Don't know how much safe it is to visit Bali during this time. I was planning to visit Bali in December this year.... I have kept my plans on hold for now

• theo1006's Profile Photo

by theo1006 Online Now Apr 6, 2011 at 4:13 AM

Yes, unknown.2121,
    there was a strong earthquake NE of Bali on March 11.
    There was another one south of Java on April 3.
    And there likely will be more of them in Indonesia every month.
    That's what they mean if they say Indonesia is located "on the ring of fire".
    If that scares you, you will never make it to Bali.
    Theo

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

by sheherezad Online Now Apr 6, 2011 at 5:44 AM

My premise is: when your time comes, it comes..

I'd rather it comes when I'm doing something fun in serene Bali ;-)

See what I mean on my 'other' travel pages :-)

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Are the affluent residents of Bali, Indonesia or Japan, or any affected place leaving the area in droves? Have say, hotel property developers scuttled their plans for new hotels? If not then I have no problem visiting.

Logic people. Logic always rules in the end.......d:o)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines