Bali Travel Answers

change location

Must-try food in Bali?

by chuapr Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Hi everyone, new to the Virtual Tourist forums and need some advice as I'm going to be making my first trip to Indonesia this June. Does anyone have advice for must-try food spots in the city? I'm planning to stay there for a week.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • Daihappydai's Profile Photo

Re: Must-try food in Bali?

by Daihappydai Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Where are you staying on Bali. If you are in Ubud, Casa Luna restaurant is great - try their own Casa Luna cake. Anywhere on Bali, 'Balinese Black Rice pudding' is a must try. Hard to give further details without knowing where you are staying, but Balinese food in general is great! Have a good trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • tumbytraveller's Profile Photo

by tumbytraveller Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 2:41 AM

A typical start for me in Bali would be a breakfast of banana pancake and fresh watermelon juice. I keep a look out for Nasi Campur, each restaurant do their own version . To me its a bit like a tasting plate with rice, prawn crackers, tofu, vegetables maybe a piece of chicken or fish and a beef satay stick. Mades Warung in Kuta , the first place I discovered back in the early 70's, have it on their menu.Then I would follow up with their black rice icecream for dessert something I have only ever seen it in Bali. Favourite fruit to try is mangosteen (not to be confused with mango) . Just try different foods while there and you will soon find your own favourites.

• RichardM44's Profile Photo

by RichardM44 Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 4:10 AM

If you food taste in Bali you can visit 

spirittourism.com/category/p...

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Nasi Goreng........its delicious

• Re: Must-try food in Bali?

by exploremore Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Ibu Oka in Ubud for suckling pig... delicious, this was my favorite. I also agree with Nasi Goreng, which can be found pretty much everywhere, it's one of the local dishes. Naughty Nuri's get a lot of publicity for its barbeque, which is good, but a little overrated.

• Ubudian's Profile Photo

by Ubudian Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Having been living on Bali for the past 15 years and being one who lives to eat, rather than eats to live, I am happy to share a few of my favorite local dishes:

The number signature dish of Bali is hands down, babi guling. This is a spit roasted pig which is stuffed with various local Balinese spices which we call bumbu and basted with coconut water during the almost all night long spit roasting process. On his Bali episode of No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain declared babi guling as the best pig meat he has ever eaten anywhere on the planet. Who am I to argue with him?

The regency of Gianyar (where I live) is hands down the most famous regency on Bali for babi guling. Any Balinese will tell you that…even the ones who don’t live in the Gianyar regency. The reason for this are the unique ingredients used to stuff the pig, the food the pig was raised on, and the choice of woods used during the spit roasting process…all being rather closely guarded secrets.

Ubud is part of this regency, and the most famed place for visitors to try this superb dish is Ibu Oka located right off the main road in Ubud. They also have a second location on the other side of Ubud, but it’s better to go to the one off of Jalan Raya.

BTW, as Bali is overwhelmingly Hindu, it is pretty much the only part of Indonesia to enjoy pork.

Another famed dish is bebek betutu. This is a delicious roasted duck, and without me going on and on about that, just Google it. The best place to try that is Café Wayan on Monkey Forest Road in Ubud, or at Café Lotus located right in front of the Saraswati temple and lotus gardens on the royal palace grounds.

The Balinese also prepare chicken in a similar manner to bebek betutu and this is called ayam betutu. Yum! We just served that to visiting guests from UC Berkeley this past Sunday.

Back to Café Wayan a bit, this is also the best place to try any sort of Balinese dish as they still use wood burning stoves for their cooking…and this is pretty rare these days for commercial restaurants. In Balinese compounds (where they live) most all still use wood burning stoves and any Balinese will tell you that any dish made in that manner is the most tasty and most preferred by the local Balinese.

The Balinese also make a great variety of sate (meat on a stick) from fish, pork, beef, lamb and even dog among other things. They are tasty treats or you can make a meal out of them. Also, the Balinese make superb vegetable dishes…my favorites being local sweet potato, jack fruit, water spinach, green beans, and more. Green beans are often served here with a delicious peanut sauce.

I could go on and one, but alas, I’ve already rambled too much.

3 members found this helpful

• quincey0722's Profile Photo

by quincey0722 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Try Babi Guling...its suckling pig grilled on slow fire for hours crunchy outside and juicy inside!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Advertising is not allowed on the forums- suggest you read the guidelines

1 member found this helpful

by Ubudian Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Just wrote to Giampiero about this blatant commercial use of the forum.

BTW...how are you?

Cheers, Roy

• cokes's Profile Photo

by cokes Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I agree that the Seafood in Jimbaran Bay is really nice. You choose your the fish you want that is still alive so they make it for you while you sit and watch the sunset. The atmosphere is very nice there with the guys that come to the tables and you pay them and they play there instruments and sing some songs.

• oasisw's Profile Photo

by oasisw Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM

1. Babi Guling Bu Oka at Ubud
    2. Babi Guling Candra at Denpasar
    3. Bebek Bengil at Ubud
    4. Pork Ribs at Nuri's at Ubud or Seminyak
    5. Seafood at Jimbaran
    6. Ayam Betutu khas Gilimanuk

Those are my recommended and unique foods in Bali.

• just_liz's Profile Photo

by just_liz Online Now Jun 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Nuris pork rib in ubud .. the bestt!!!

by Ubudian Online Now Jun 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Naughty Nuri's is located directly opposite the famed Neka Museum northwest of central Ubud.

Once a famous hang out for local expats, since co owner Brian died, it still remains one of Ubud's most famous eateries.

You can read my review of Naughty Nuri’s here:

Naughty Nuri's Warung: "A Must on Any Bali Trip" - Ubud Restaurant Tip by Ubudian

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines