Balestrand Travel Answers

change location

Oslo-Voss-Gudvangen-Balestrand

by utahtraveller Online Now May 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Is it possible to travel from Gudvangen to Balestrand by boat? The timetables I have looked at appear to make connections midtfjord between the Bergen-Flam boat and the Flam-Gudvangen boat going from Balestrand to Voss but not the other direction. Any advice?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • daarth's Profile Photo

Re: Oslo-Voss-Gudvangen-Balestrand

by daarth Online Now May 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM

"midtfjord" means "middle of the fjord".
    During the tourist season, they have a transfer in the middle of the fjord.
    But there is no boat to Voss as that is inland. There is a train from Bergen to Voss and a bus from Gudvangen to Voss. If you want to try the famous Flåm rail, you take the train from Voss to Myrdal where the train to Flåm goes from. There is also a bus from Flåm to Gudvangen if you want to take the fjord boat one way

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Oslo-Voss-Gudvangen-Balestrand

by utahtraveller Online Now May 27, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Thanks--I think my question was a little misleading, though. I'm hoping to travel by boat from Gudvangen to Balestrand which would require a transfer midtfjord between two boats. While the timetables seem to indicate such a transfer can happen for travel from Balestrand to Gudvangen, I don't know if I can transfer boats going from Gudbvangen to Balestrand. Do you know if there is a midtfjord transfer going northbound or is there another boat connection point? Or do I have to get off the boat at Kaupanger and take a bus to Balestrand?

• daarth's Profile Photo

Re: Oslo-Voss-Gudvangen-Balestrand

by daarth Online Now May 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I have never taken that boat myself, so I'm not sure. But the table should be clear about those things. The best place to check it all out is here:
    http://www.fjord1.no/en/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Balestrand