Balaton Travel Answers

change location

TICKS

by Ladymarian1 Online Now Jan 23, 2008 at 1:07 PM

Hi

We're taking our small caravan and staying on the edge of Lake Balaton in August Husband is an insulin diabetic + asthma - seems to be a lot of confusion over whether we need jabs for this tickborne encapahalitis - we're only staying 4 nights and will be sight seeing - OK the odd pampering for me at a spa! Can anyone please end the utter confusion over these blasted ticks - and is there anywhere that I can purchase a tick remover in the UK - only seems to be pretty crap ones on ebay.

All info greatly received. Thanks

Ladymarian

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: TICKS

by christine.j Online Now Jan 24, 2008 at 3:35 AM

If you're only staying four days I wouldn't get the jabs before.The maps here mark the Balaton as potential risk area for tick encephalitis, but you can get a shot afterwards, in case you get bitten.Just check thouroughly if any tick has bitten you, they usually stay on the body for a few hours. If you do get bitten, go and see a doctor for the afterwards shot. More important, watch the spot where the tick was, if you see a red circle it might be Lyme disease, which is far more common than encephalitis.

I've tried out just about every tick remover I can get, in drugstores and pharmacies, the best one in my mind are simple tweezers. Last summer I bought some at Marks and Spencer for £1, works much better than any expensive tick remover. Be sure to get the tick's head out.

Don't let them spoil your holidays, most probably you won't get bitten at all.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • doodybee's Profile Photo

by doodybee Online Now Jan 24, 2008 at 4:34 AM

if the same as pets applies you should cover any ticks in vaseline - apprently kills them ( according to vet) and ensure the head is removed entirely

• danbp's Profile Photo

by danbp Online Now Jan 24, 2008 at 7:27 AM

It's quite unlikely you'd get bitten by a tick. Still, every time you take a shower, check for them, especially in warm and wet points of the body, like armpits, crook of the arm, popliteal (is that really the word for the other side of ones knees?), belly button, between toes, near genitals and also assist each other in checking behind the ears and on the head. This takes a minute every day.
    Should you get bitten, the afterwards shot is fine within 3 days. And won't cost you too much if you're insured anywhere in the EU.
    For removing ticks, tweezers are really the best option. Take the tick by its head and with a smooth turning motion, remove it. Don't push its abdomen, that would spill infected blood around the tiny wound.
    I've got bitten a number of times but had no problem - even didn't have the afterwards shot.

by christine.j Online Now Jan 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Covering with vaseline or oil etc is no longer recommended, as the ticks then spill bacteria - Borreliosis - into your blood. This increases the chance of getting Lyme disease.

by doodybee Online Now Jan 25, 2008 at 1:21 AM

thanks for that advise christine
    guess everyone is not up to speed
    then again there the debare as to whats good and whats not good in all things
    some things are good one week and not hte next and then at the next lot of research its all abck in favour again

makes the weekly shopping trip interesting if nothing else
    Julie

by christine.j Online Now Jan 25, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Julie, you're so right! One week something is the best, the next week it's supposed bad for you. For years I've been putting some oil on the ticks and nothing happened, but when we had had the first case of Lyme disease in our family, the doctor told me not to do it. So now I don't, but still two more family members got Lyme disease. I just hate those ticks!

by doodybee Online Now Jan 25, 2008 at 3:23 AM

maybe we should all resort to using FRONTLINE which the vets have for treatment of Ticks Fleas and Worms in Dogs & Cats

by christine.j Online Now Jan 25, 2008 at 3:32 AM

Whenever I was putting Frontline on my dog, I was seriously considering putting on myself.

• danbp's Profile Photo

by danbp Online Now Jan 26, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Well, let's just stick to the Balaton area: ticks like forests and long grass. Sure, they do appear even in the nicest garden,but that's significantly less likely.
    None of the official beaches are in forests, and their owners do cut the grass - otherwise they lose customers. Same for camping sites.

So don't bother too much about them. Check yourself every day and have a tweezer for any case.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines