Balaton Travel Answers

change location

Balaton public transport

by petite_emma Online Now Jan 11, 2008 at 5:53 AM

I'm thinking of going to the Balaton Sound festival in July, which is in Zamárdi, on the south shore of Lake Balaton.
A friend's mum lives near the airport in Sármellék, to the west of the lake, I and was wondering how difficult it would be to travel from there to the festival each day.
Are there local bus or train services and, if so, will they run late at night?
Roughly how much would a taxi/mini bus be?
I know I could camp but being under canvas in a possible 100 degree heat wouldn't be too fun and I also don't fancy my chances with the elephant-sized mosquitoes.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • danbp's Profile Photo

Re: Balaton public transport

by danbp Online Now Jan 11, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Sarmellek and Zamardi are not well-connected, since Sarmellek is not a typical Balaton lakeside resort and has no (passenger) rail link. You'd have to travel to Keszthely by bus (20-30 minutes) and transfer for a train running either directly to Zamardi or to Balatonszentgyorgy, where you'd have to transfer for another train for Zamardi.
    In recent years, MAV Hungarian State Railways did operate night trains, but only in major party areas - and the Keszthely region is not really like that.
    First connection back to Sarmellek leaves Zamardi 357 am, with arrival at Sarmellek 720 (yes, it misses bus connection in Keszthely just by a few minutes...).

There are about a dozen connections both ways, for details check www.elvira.hu (train schedules) and www.menetrendek.hu (bus schedules). Keszthely train and bus stations are adjacent to each other. There are a number of bus-only connections available, but with transfers only. Expect a travel time of 2.5-3 hours each day, each direction.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • omehes's Profile Photo

by omehes Online Now Jan 12, 2008 at 12:17 AM

Hi. Just another option, hiring a car. Apparently, Regina car hire (http://www.reginaauto.hu) has an office in Heviz (close to Sarmellek) and an office at the airport too. And they are quite cheap. I know this from a friend who rented a car in Regina and liked them. I know, when you hire a car, drinking becomes an issue... Good luck and enjoy Balaton. It is a lovely place!

• danbp's Profile Photo

by danbp Online Now Jan 13, 2008 at 7:40 AM

True, drink or drive, in Hungary there's zero tolerance. So no solutions like 'one beer only' will apply...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines