Baku Travel Answers

change location
tutuq8's Profile Photo

Moving to Baku

by tutuq8 Online Now Jan 23, 2007 at 7:44 AM

Hi there,
I've accepted a job and am going to be moving to Baku!! As a foreigner, have you any suggestions on what I should or should not bring? Are there any products or toiletries that are not available or very expensive? What about clothing? I think it must get fairly cold. Should I bring my own dvd player or purchase one there? How much do dvds cost? Are both the old manat and the new manat being used as currency? I understand that water delivery is done via 'bladder bags' will they fit onto my current ceramic water dispenser that is suitable for jugs? Any suggestions or information welcome - thanks!!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Moving to Baku

by Adelaida Online Now Jul 2, 2007 at 5:31 AM

Geeez, man. Azerbaijan is not the middle of nowhere (although it might sound like it :))) It's a modern place, where you will find all toiletries you need, the prices are not too expensive. I would actually suggest you buy a DVD player there - it won't be locked to bloody Region 2 then :) Seriously, as far as I understand DVD players sold there are designed for all regions, so are the DVDs themselves. And the latter are cheap, bloody cheap. The last time when I was there (in January) the prices were still around 6 manats per DVD at specialized stores like ABC or GRAND. Old manat is totally out of circulation by now. Dunno anything about dispensers :) sorry ...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines