Bakersfield Travel Answers

change location

Nearby Town that is nicer

by trendymissay Online Now Jun 6, 2006 at 1:28 PM

hi, where would you recommend someone that is about to take a job in bakersfield live, that is a bit nicer and not too bad of a commute? any surrounding towns??

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • deannatravel's Profile Photo

RE: Nearby Town that is nicer

by deannatravel Online Now Jun 6, 2006 at 6:13 PM

Hi!

We want to help but what do you mean by nicer? Are you looking for more affordable housing? More to do? How long a Commute?

Bill Hunter

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Nearby Town that is nicer

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Jun 6, 2006 at 9:17 PM

I would give Bakersfield a chance. There are some really nice areas on the west side. Unless you want to go up in the mountains near Tehachapi. That is about the only place I would go in the area. That is about 45 minutes.

• RE: RE: Nearby Town that is nicer

by trendymissay Online Now Jun 7, 2006 at 11:53 AM

Well I would say somewhere where there is more to do for younger ppl (mid 20s). I mean there are so many negative reviews about living in bakersfield its causin some concern. I know the closest major city is LA which is 1.5 hrs/ so thats out of the question, but i was thinking somewhere that is closer to LA, (so south of bakersfield) close enough to bakersfield for like a 40-45 min commute.. Just wondering..

Also another question, what is the best part of town to live? (bakersfield).

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Nearby Town that is nicer

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Jun 7, 2006 at 1:12 PM

South of Bakersfield is mostly farm land until you get to Santa Clarita, which is mostly homes with everybody commuting into LA. Long boring drive and not to be done on a daily basis. The new nicer homes are going in on the west side of town. I have family who live there, so I don't really look for places to buy or rent. However, I have seen some really nice places. Housing is fairly cheaper as far as CA standards are concerned.

• deannatravel's Profile Photo

RE: Nearby Town that is nicer

by deannatravel Online Now Jun 8, 2006 at 4:13 PM

Also south of Bakersfield is the mountain town of Fraizer Park near Gorman. Probably 45 to 55 minutes from Bakersfield on I-5. Have some friends who live there and they really enjoy it. At about 4,500 feet elevation. Only possibility is you could get snowed in once in awhile in the winter.
    Before you make any decision you should give Bakersfield a look. It has grown a lot and there are some really nice housing developements southwest of town.

Bill Hunter

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines