Bakersfield Travel Answers

change location
madamtaz's Profile Photo

moving

by madamtaz Online Now Jan 3, 2003 at 9:37 AM

I am in the process of deciding where to move. One of my deciding points is the weather, cost of living and job availability.... Can anyone help me ???

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • phildeni's Profile Photo

Re: moving

by phildeni Online Now Jan 3, 2003 at 11:43 AM

Don't even think about Bakersfield! It is a bigger toilet than Hollywood (Ca.)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jenn_d's Profile Photo

Re: Re: moving

by jenn_d Online Now Jan 3, 2003 at 2:21 PM

Phil- you beat me to the punch. I was going to ask why Bakersfield, it is the armpit of California.

Re: Re: moving

by phildeni Online Now Jan 3, 2003 at 2:39 PM

If someone wanted to give the world an enema they would stick the hose in Bakersfield.

• horsinround2's Profile Photo

moving

by horsinround2 Online Now Jan 15, 2003 at 12:24 AM

Definately NOT Bakersfield. Try looking around the Sacramento area. Cost of living is still reasonable, job market is decent, Sac International Airport is easy to fly in & out of, Tahoe & Reno are a short drive away, San Francisco & the coast are easy drives too, lots of stuff to do in the area, weather is fairly mild (although a bit hot in August), decent shopping, baseball & basketball teams for the sports enthusiast, and it still has a homey small town feel.

by phildeni Online Now Jan 15, 2003 at 10:48 AM

Sacramento?? You mean "Cow Town". Too hot!!

• horsinround2's Profile Photo

moving

by horsinround2 Online Now Jan 15, 2003 at 10:36 PM

It's not all that hot if you stay in the hills - Auburn or Placerville areas. Besides... it's better than Bakersfield by a long shot & no where near as expensive to live in as the Bay Area.

• sgoet's Profile Photo

by sgoet Online Now Jan 17, 2003 at 3:13 PM

Your question is rather big. California is quite diverse. The Central Valley is more affordable than the coast and the weather is not as moderate. Valley towns by the Delta have nicer weather, like Sacto and definitely has 4 seasons. Redding is a Valley town in the North that reminds me of Bakersfield, its cowboy country and its hot and getting big, but the sky is blue, the hills have trees, Lake Shasta and the river are great for water sports. The Bay Area economy is not too good right now and its very expensive. The papers say So.Cal's economy is improving. The coast between LA and SF is beautiful and is not overpopulated yet, but opportunities are limited too. San Diego is one of my favorite cities.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines