Baghdad Travel Answers

change location

How to get to Baghdad/Karbala

by yankeedoodless Online Now Feb 1, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Hello,
I would like to know the various ways of getting to Baghdad/Karbala.
I read from Wikipedia that there are some flights from Dubai/Iran but the flights from these cities seem to be around 1000USD. Is there any other way to get to these cities??

Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • george5b's Profile Photo

Re: How to get to Baghdad/Karbala

by george5b Online Now Feb 1, 2009 at 11:16 PM

If you are on a business trip, get your business partner to give you advice on flights, as he will be arranging transport and security within Iraq anyway.

If you are visiting family - ask them.

If you are actually planning on tourism in Iraq : THINK AGAIN !! Although me not telling you how to get to Baghdad probably isn't going to prevent you from going there : a feeble attempt to keep you from getting yourself killed is still worth at least a try...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: How to get to Baghdad/Karbala

by yankeedoodless Online Now Feb 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Hello George5b,
    Thanks for your reply and note of caution. My reason to visit there is partial tourism partial pilgrimage. I am aware of the present state of Iraq and its danger. However, it is pretty necessary for me to visit there and as I don't have business there nor do I have family there, I am looking for advice to travel there. I plan on keeping a low profile.

Thank you

• Romanian_Bat's Profile Photo

Re: How to get to Baghdad/Karbala

by Romanian_Bat Online Now Oct 15, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Turkish Airlines fly to Baghdad from their hub on Ataturk (Istanbul's main airport). An IST BGW ticket is about TRY 1580 (approx. EUR 734) return.
    Otherwise, the cheapest option I found to fly to BGW is the former Flying Carpet (actually MED Air, not to be mistaken for MEA) from Beirut. Just a random example:
    15.10.2009 BEY BGW 0800 0945
    24.10.2009 BGW BEY 1100 1245
    EUR 359.57 RT
    The others (Mahan Air, Gulf Air, Bahrain Air) are all more expensive. Alternatively, you can attempt land crossing from Turkey into Iraqi Kurdistan. Beware however that, outside Kurdistan and Baghdad proper, you may be stopped and turned back at checkpoints. Be aware and do assume all risks before going to Iraq.
    And, for more info on the matter, check out Geoff Hahn's Bradt guidebook on Iraq, respectively his hinterlandtravel.com/iraq_up...
    Insha'Allah,
    Alex

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Baghdad