Bagan Travel Answers

change location
stamporama's Profile Photo

Balloon ride

by stamporama Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I'm looking into a possible trip to Myanmar and Bagan is definitely on my list. From the tips and insights of people who've been there the impression I get is the best (but most expensive) thing to do there is to ride the early morning hot air balloon. Is this thing really worth the price ($300)? I assume that only one company has a monopoly of this service?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • cafank's Profile Photo

Re: Balloon ride

by cafank Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I have just returned from Myanmar and didn't do the balloon flight. I flew over Bagan flying in and out with great views so could imagine the balloon flight would be great and you could get some good pics. I don't regret not doing it - spent the money elsewhere with no problems - well actually didn't as I don't think I spent that much in 10 days aside from air fares!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SirHalberd's Profile Photo

by SirHalberd Online Now Sep 28, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Up to you, your money!

When I was there you could climb a temple near sunrise or sunset and take photos with all the other temples in the background.

Check out Mt. Popa too while you are there.

myanmartravelinformation.com...

Good luck.

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Online Now Sep 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM

These are 2 separate things in my opinion. For one, the beauty of Bagan. It is gorgeous no matter what you do. You can do the evening viewing form the 'tourist' temple or you can find a small temple that you have all to yourself. Same for the morning. You can cycle around to the smaller temples or hire a taxi or horse-cart to view the bigger ones (they are a little further apart). You can go and see the temple at mt. Popa and/or climb the mountain (the real Mt. Popa). You can do the morning before sunrise 5-temple route (what the devoted Burmese do including the temple at the other side of the river). All this is less expensive than the balloon ride and still incredibly beautiful and nice to do.

Then, where in the world can you go on a balloon ride for only300? I did it in my home country years ago. Luckily i didn't have to pay for it since it was already more then... And i loved every minute of it. A balloon ride is a great experience. So if you can combine a beautiful landscape + a great experience ....

Of course it all depends on your budget and preferences...

• Re: Balloon ride

by sputnik8 Online Now Sep 30, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Like what Mique have proposed, there are a lot of other activities that will make up for not going for the balloon ride. I say go ahead and spread the cost elsewhere instead...The local would benefit more from that...And Bagan's beautiful anyway you look at it...And the cost of the ride is just too extreme in comparison to other activities you can have...I had a chat with local guide when I was there and he was telling me story of how tourists always looking for cheapest deal in souvenirs, food, guide services...bargaining a lot, but no qualms in paying for the expensive ride...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines