Bagan Travel Answers

change location

Independent bike tours of Bagan

by globetrotter77 Online Now Sep 9, 2006 at 9:15 AM

Hello,
Does anyone know of any companies or locals that operate bike tours in Bagan? Or is it relatively easy to go off on your own and explore?
Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • RE: Independent bike tours of Bagan

by seagypsy Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 1:37 PM

Very easy to tour the ruins on your own. All you'll need is to rent a clunker one-speed from your guesthouse or hotel, have a decent map [the free DPS maps of Bagan and Nyuang U area is all you'll really need] which displays the dirt paths connecting the temples, and your own legs and gumption. Don't forget sunscreen and glasses and also to drink bottled water. A flashlight or headlamp comes in handy if your planning to watch the sunset from a temple and am quite a ways out from your accomodations at Nyuang U or new Bagan.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ecuriocity's Profile Photo

RE: Independent bike tours of Bagan

by ecuriocity Online Now Sep 10, 2006 at 1:48 PM

Hi Globe

Easy to do on your own. Bicycle rental is K500/day in Nyaung Oo and K2000-3000/day in Bagan Myothit. You can get a detailed map of Bagan with all the temple locations at some shops. Can't really recall how much but I think it was US$3.

I would suggest that you read up a bit, so that you do the temples that interest - eg. murals, sunset/sunrise spots - you most if you don't have enough days there. This place is huge!

Enjoy!
    T

• planxty's Profile Photo

RE: Independent bike tours of Bagan

by planxty Online Now Sep 13, 2006 at 5:39 AM

The posters above have got it spot on. You can hire bikes almost anywhere in the area where there are tourists, and the whole site is fairly accessible. I had a wonderful time just pedalling around. I'm middle-aged and none too fit any more, but I had no problems, it's all relatively flat. i would say it's the best way to see Bagan. Have a look at my pages for an idea of what to expect.

fergy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines