Bagan Travel Answers

change location

Cycling in Bagan

by globetrotter77 Online Now Sep 2, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Hello,

Has anyone been cycling in Bagan recently? I have heard its a great place to explore by bike and wondered if anyone could give me some info on where to rent a bike from, cost etc? Even names of guesthouses that can rent bikes out would be helpful.

thanks,

GT

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • gargamel111's Profile Photo

RE: Cycling in Bagan

by gargamel111 Online Now Sep 4, 2006 at 6:22 AM

hi there,
    You can get a bike in most of the hotels. (We stayed at the New Park -> see more on my Myanmar page) Prices are very different, from 4 to 6000 Kyat a day. But! Be sure it is a hot run if You going by bike on a whole day trough the temples. And: a lot of the streets are just dust and sand. So this is no fun. Bikes are good for exploring the town, going down to the river or do a sunset-/sundown explore. For exploring the temples the best way is to go by horse cart.
    have fun
    Gar

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • albaaust's Profile Photo

RE: Cycling in Bagan

by albaaust Online Now Sep 7, 2006 at 8:18 PM

Just put a tip up about cycling - see my page about local guides as well. I agree with Gar - do it early morning or late afternoon as it does get hot

• planxty's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Cycling in Bagan

by planxty Online Now Sep 13, 2006 at 5:43 AM

This is an unashamed cut and paste from a reply I gave to another post.

You can hire bikes almost anywhere in the area where there are tourists, and the whole site is fairly accessible. I had a wonderful time just pedalling around. I'm middle-aged and none too fit any more, but I had no problems, it's all relatively flat. i would say it's the best way to see Bagan. Have a look at my pages for an idea of what to expect.

fergy.

PS take plenty of water with you, as dehydration can set in very quickly. also, some form of headgear is in order to keep the sun off.

• Re: Cycling in Bagan

by HeyHeyGourmet Online Now May 15, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I have experienced really good things about Bagan Princess.

They have a pool and rooms for about 35 US. Definitely a bit more then some competitors, but you get more. There is also a restaurant on site, and one next door called the Queen Restaurant, that is really great.

Good deal.

This article also has some good travel advice for Burma.

tourcompanyreviews.com/holid...

• Re: Cycling in Bagan

by HeyHeyGourmet Online Now May 15, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I have experienced really good things about Bagan Princess.

They have a pool and rooms for about 35 US. Definitely a bit more then some competitors, but you get more. There is also a restaurant on site, and one next door called the Queen Restaurant, that is really great.

Good deal.

This article also has some good travel advice for Burma.

tourcompanyreviews.com/holid...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines