Baden-Baden Travel Answers

change location
dobrovod's Profile Photo

spa etiquette in Baden Baden

by dobrovod Online Now Jan 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I have been to Baden Baden before but didn't make it to the Caracalla Therme or Friedrichsbad. I'm hoping to make a trip there again later this month for a long weekend. Would it be best to try both places on different days? What is the typical etiquette inside the spa, completely undressed after a locker area, towels are provided, etc? Are robes and slippers provided or available for sale? Should I plan to wear swimming attire in some parts of the facilities? If I schedule any treatments, is tipping expected?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Re: spa etiquette in Baden Baden

by Kathrin_E Online Now Jan 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM

The two spas are totally different.

Caracalla-Therme: normal swimwear required in the pool area, you move freely and do as you like. You bring your own swimsuit, towels and everything, in 'emergency' these things can also be rented for a small fee. Only the sauna part upstairs, completely separated and out of sight, is nude. When buying the ticket you have the choice between pool area only, sauna only, or pool and sauna.

Friedrichsbad: entirely nude. Fixed curriculum. Sexes are separated except in the big pool at the end. Towels etc. are provided, no need to bring anything.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dobrovod's Profile Photo

by dobrovod Online Now Jan 6, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Are there locker room areas for storage? (I now think that I'll try a couple days at the Caracalla and then one at the Friedrichsbad.)

Thank you.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Jan 6, 2010 at 3:15 AM

There are big lockers for your clothes etc. behind the changing cabins, and small lockers for valuables a) at the entrance to the changing area and b) inside at the beginning of the pool area. The keys have straps so you can tie them round your wrist or to your swimsuit and keep them with you all the time.

I'm talking about Caracalla, I have never been to Friedrichsbad (the nude thing doesn't appeal to me) but I'd expect it to be the same, as both belong to the same company.

• Re: spa etiquette in Baden Baden

by Rodster Online Now Oct 25, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I highly recommend Friedrichsbad. You can check their website, but some days are mixed, so men and women can do everything together, which my wife and I preferred. Friedrichsbad is completely nude. They furnish what you need. The cusomters were discreet and the staff was professional. Get the soap and brush scrub. My wife and I went on several days together. You will see every type of person and the nudity is not a big deal, in fact it is liberating in my opinion.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines