Baalbeck Travel Answers

change location
triplehelix's Profile Photo

Baalbeck to Bcharre to Tripoli

by triplehelix Online Now Apr 20, 2006 at 5:04 AM

is it difficult to get transportation from baalbeck to these cities? i will be in baalbeck in late july/early august and would like to travel north to the cedars and tripoli. i've heard negative things about the road which can be closed at times.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • kado's Profile Photo

RE: Baalbeck to Bcharre to Tripoli

by kado Online Now Apr 20, 2006 at 2:02 PM

this road crosses the highest peak in lebanon at about 3000 meters so it is covered in snow. from late march / april it is open. I drove that bit many times, it is a narrow road and hardly used by traffic... i'm not sure if there's a bus. if you had to ask the locals, some might not be aware of this route... there's very few known villages alongway, one of them called "deir el-ahmar".
    it is a drive worth doing...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kado's Profile Photo

RE: Baalbeck to Bcharre to Tripoli

by kado Online Now Apr 20, 2006 at 2:08 PM

and if you stop in bscherre stop by the house (museum) of gibran khalil gibran.

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Baalbeck to Bcharre to Tripoli

by triplehelix Online Now Apr 20, 2006 at 2:19 PM

thanks for the info! do service taxi's go that way? if not, i'll try my best to go that route. otherwise i'll have to go back to beirut and trek north from that way.

• kado's Profile Photo

by kado Online Now Apr 21, 2006 at 5:52 AM

I don't know... but I guess if you ask a taxi driver to take that route in particular they might agree, if you have some company it will be a good thing to split the cost.

• triplehelix's Profile Photo

by triplehelix Online Now Apr 21, 2006 at 6:39 AM

sounds good. i've been told things are pretty affordable for travlers in these countries. though i'm not coming with riches dripping off me, i do plan on bringing about 3 to 4 thousand USD for expenses and spending with me just to be safe. is this enough for a three week trip? i'm not going to stay in luxury hotels except in amman and damascus where i can stay at the four seasons free of charge (im an employee). i mostly plan on buying things and shipping them back so i can avoid lugging things around with me.

as for transportation costs, i will certainly weigh my options but as long as prices aren't crazy like in honolulu ($30 for a short 8 mile taxi ride!!!) i'm sure i'll be fine there.

• kado's Profile Photo

by kado Online Now Apr 22, 2006 at 3:50 AM

this amount should be OK... I remember in 2001 a friend too a coach from central station in beirut to amman, it was US 7 only.
    Transport between major towns should be very easy, hotel staff will help, but you have to be specific as to ask for direction of (so-called) "main" station, most of these will allow you to choose from coach, minivan, shared taxi...

• siinq8's Profile Photo

by siinq8 Online Now Apr 22, 2006 at 4:08 AM

Buses and service taxis are the cheapest way of getting around by far.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Baalbeck