Avignon Travel Answers

change location

buses from Avignon / Gordes area - to Lourdes

by virgorine Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM

hi, does anyone know if there is a bus service from Avignon area ( we are staying in Gordes) to Lourdes.
I was hoping for a flight but if this is not possible it would be great to go by bus.
A website would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: buses from Avignon / Gordes area - to Lourdes

by davidjo Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM

rome2rio.com/s/Lourdes/Avign...
    There is a possibility of going by train but you have to change twice. Book 3 months in advance or cheapest tickets. There is no bus or coach.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:21 AM

There is no bus Avignon>Lourdes shown on

http://www.eurolines.fr/en/

There is a bus Avignon>Tarbes (28 euro) but, unfortunately, it leaves at 1900 and arrives at 2am. . There are trains tTarbes>Lourdes with a journey time of 14 minutes. Train times, details and fares in French (but easy to work out):

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Given the peculiar timing of the bus, I think it would be easiest to make the whole journey by train. Journey time Avignon>Lourdes is from just over 5.5. hours, with two changes. Details on the voyages-sncf site above

• Re: buses from Avignon / Gordes area - to Lourdes

by virgorine Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Thanks so much for the quick response, what a shame there are no coaches. Will look at the train
    as an option. thank you

by virgorine Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM

hello, thank you for the quick response and the link, I will investigate further. Much appreciated

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM

No absolute need to buy your tickets in advance online, by the way. You can buy them at the station in Avignon.

You may well find that if you try to buy online via voyages-sncf you will be automatically taken to Raileurope (with which SNCF has strong links). Raileurope is a ticketing agency, so you can expect to pay admin fees on top of the fare. It also does not list all departures, although in this instance I don't think you will be affected.

by virgorine Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM

super, thanks

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 3:32 AM

virgorine wrote:
    Thanks so much for the quick response, what a shame there are no coaches. Will look at the train as an option. thank you

There is a perfectly good train service. Why would there need to be coaches?

by virgorine Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Hi, just thought that the coaches may take a different route than the trains and it would have been
    good to look at both options/routes if it were possible.

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I agree, why take a slow stinky bus when you can take a fast enjoyable train? No need to buy in advance unless it is totally high season and even then, it might not be necessary - Once I returned to France from the Balkans the first week in August, and changing at Nice you can imagine the insanity - masses and masses of people in line, the agents remaining admirably calm and courteous - and I got on the train....It is no problem going to Lourdes by train, of course, considering the millions that flock there every year - People only use buses very locally in France. The rest is the train - thank goodness!

by virgorine Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:24 AM

thanks,
    the train it is then.

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:38 AM

You won't regret it! and if there are problems, they are great about it - Not to scare you, but once I was on a return trip, on the route Lourdes - Toulouse - There were mechanical problems - stuff happens - and I had missed my connection to Albi and consequently my ride home to a remote village in the Aveyron. After dealing with innumerable stranded passengers they were still very very sweet with me, believed my story (which was true but unusual) and gave me a voucher for a hotel just across the canal - it was a really comfortable hotel too, three stars (I am more in the two category) and I was able to call a friend who happened to be in town and go out to dinner with him! so it was actually great - and the next morning I was on the little local train that took me near my place. So they do take care of their clients, and in a positive manner too. You will be in good hands.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines