Aviemore Travel Answers

change location

Pensioner - Risky or Not?

by fergilan Online Now Mar 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM

I'm travelling up to aviemore on 22nd March 2008 bringing two pensioners (83 year olds "It's too cold" "where's the tea shop") together with a typical 14 year old girl ("I'm bored!" "where's the shops" etc.) I'm now having second thoughts as everything I've read recently is "High risk for snow storms" "Great for ski-ing" I somehow doubt an 83 year old would enjoy skiing, hiking or snowboarding her way to the shops and the 14 year old doesn't want to just be stuck in the car watching the scenery go by even if she does have an i-pod to complete the "Am I boverred" attitude. Any ideas before I go completely insane trying to plan something to suit everyone?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Pensioner - Risky or Not?

by leics Online Now Mar 17, 2008 at 12:26 PM

Have to say it looks pretty horrid on 22nd:

metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/day...

(a reliable site, as far as any UK weather site can be).

I doubt it will be so bad that your older ones will have to snowboard to the town (so not actually risky) but damp slushiness is not pleasant, and can be very slippery. Sensible shoes mecessary.

Aviemore and area are focused on snow sports, of course; that's why they grew in popularity originally.

Have a look at

http://www.visithighlands.com/aviemore/

Maybe little-town-visiting, and a distillery visit, might be appealing?

Or perhaps get the train somewhere (some stunning scenery along that line). Inverness is full of shops (!) and an interesting place to visit.

Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • firechick's Profile Photo

Re: Pensioner - Risky or Not?

by firechick Online Now Mar 17, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Get 'em drunk on scotch whiskey and leave the oldies at the B&B in front of the fire :-) That'll keep 'em warm. Send the 14 year old off on a snowboarding lesson for the day. That's what I'd do. You won't all enjoy the same things (well except maybe a distillery tour).

It is mainly a sports town but of course is home of many whiskey distilleries as well. There is of course, shopping in town center but then the rest is basically mountain-y countryside. There are wonderful B&Bs to stay in nearly all over the region. I love it there, but then again I love the outdoors.

http://www.aviemore.co.uk/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines