Auvergne Travel Answers

change location

Where to stay between Tours and Arles

by Drewbad4u Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Hi, we're looking for a one day/one night to stay in between Tours and Arles. A quaint town that has a few cool and Interesting places to explore. We'll be in other big cities the rest of the time. Thanks for any help or input that you might be able to provide. Drew v.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Re: Where to stay between Tours and Arles

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM

If you select the Sightseeing option and request an itinerary on www.viamichelin.com you will see it is a journey of about 370 - 400 miles depending on the route you take.

At Le Puy en Velay there is a Logis de France -
    logishotels.com/en/hotel-Hot...

which would make quite a good overnight stop.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Where to stay between Tours and Arles

by Drewbad4u Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Thank you, Ranger! Le Puy looks perfect!!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM

quite a large area indeed, if you look at a map. Get the name, plug them into Destinations above right and see zillions of tips by posters like us.

The choices are endless, you need to narrow it down for details in the forum.
    the big hotel chain accor has hotels in all ranges, www.accorhotels.com then you got the logis from ranger49, smaller ,then there are so many other chains, again pinpoint the towns you like to visit.

In Tours ,a charm hotel such as Mirabeau,
    http://www.hotel-mirabeau.fr/

in Arles, i have stayed at Crau, a bit out, but on the run with a car is great
    http://www.hotel-crau-arles.fr/

hope it helps your planning

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM

by the way I am in France, Auvergne is no where near Tours nor Arles totally different region, so you should re post your question in France forum at least.
    cheers

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 2, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Hi Gwened - I suspect the Poster knows where the Auvergne is - he wants to stay somewhere "between Tours and Arles" - not in either of them.

Le Puy-en-Velay - the town I suggested is described as being in
    "Le midi de l'Auvergne"

I hope this clarifies the placement of the question in the Auvergne Forum.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM

well I dont guess, just notice it is in the auvergne section, and asking to go in between Tours and Arles.its odd to me, but maybe because I am from here, and have second home in Auvergne...totally different area.
    cheers

• Re: Where to stay between Tours and Arles

by Drewbad4u Online Now Jun 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I looked at a map and thought the general region I wanted to find a nice city in was called Auvergne. Apologies if that's incorrect. Le Puy en Velay looks like the perfect spot. Thanks for the info and replies....cheers! Drew

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Drew - Don't worry you got it right first time and the Auvergne is spot on for where you want to make your overnight stop.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 3, 2012 at 1:52 AM

not my nature to insist, just to understand.

"I looked at a map and thought the general region I wanted to find a nice city in was called Auvergne"

the region of auvergne (not a city) is where I have a second home with my in laws near Clermont-Ferrand(a city in Auvergne). there is no city but a region of France's 22. Tours and Arles are cities in two different regions of France.

Le Puy-en-Velay is a town in the dept of haute Loire no 43, in the region of Auvergne.Not far from Clermont-Ferrand, and between Tours and Arles. So yes that is a good middle point to go as suggested by Ranger49.

That is why I said you will get more responses if put the question in the France forum. Have done with that,

another nice place to be is Millau , whre the famous bridge is, and Riom near our house.La Ch√Ętre in the region of Centre just after Tours is a wonderful medieval little village that has many things to see from 1152AD and on with woodend houses, plus a museum to George Sand.

hope it helps your trip, and sorry for the misundertandings.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Do not want to get into the discussion on the issue if a forgotten word would indicate that the OP thought Auvergne was a city if he was looking for a quaint town in Auvergne...

But I want to second Ranger's suggestion of staying in Le Puy-en-Velay. It is one of the most spectacular and scenic and breathtaking towns/cities in the whole of France - not only in Auvergne - and is so well worth a visit. Do it!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Auvergne Travel Answer Locations