Austria Travel Answers

change location

What type of construction are hiking trails consisted of in Austria?

by Awoodward Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Hello, Could someone please help me? I'm going to be hiking in Austria this summer with my sister. I would like to know ahead of time as to what the trails are consisted of , either dirt or asphalt.Last summer we hiked in the Wertach area of Germany and all the trails were asphalt. Trails with asphalt for a long distance are very hard on ones legs.We haven't decided yet as to what region we will be staying.We like small villages and good hiking.We would be open for any suggestions, for we haven't traveled to Austria yet. We plan on going for two weeks around the end of September.Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you, A. Woodward

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • margsch's Profile Photo

Re: What type of construction are hiking trails consisted of in Austria?

by margsch Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I did a hiking tour with a small group from Australia, we stayed in a village called Kirchberg in Tirol, our accommodation was at Gasthof Alpina, a family run guesthouse, and we had half board. There are numerous hiking areas (easy to moderate) up the surrounding mountains. Each morning we bought our food and drink supplioes from the local supermarket then headed off. The village is 8km from Kitzbuehl, a larger town. kirchberg has a train station so you can get about a bit if you wish to explore other areas.

What was the icing on the cake for us was a fabulous natural lake the other side of the Autobahn from our village, we usually tried to get back at about 4p.m. then went through a pedestrian underpass to the lake for a swim. Many families were here just for the family atmosphere by the lake, lawns around with a cafe, and beautiful clear water for swimming, it was heaven after a day of sweating and toiling up mountains. We had glorious weather but you would need a light raincoat.
    The tracks were possibly bitumen but you are able to walk through pastures if you want to. We used a cablecar up to the top a couple of times then hiked up around the mountain areas, it was certainly not difficult and i didn,t have problems with my feet,

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • northeast80's Profile Photo

by northeast80 Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I've hiked in the Gesause National Park and it was just normal outdoors so grass, mud, shale, rock, pebble.....
    The area was absolutely stunning, I stayed in a cottage near Admont and we did a lot of walks in the area. Some weren't circular though so we'd have to use two cars, drive one to the end and leave it there and bring everyone to the start and pick up the car from the start after we'd finished the walk. But I guess if you're doing a tour you won't have to worry about that. We walked up a few mountains and at the top were huts with hot food and beer which were most welcome. Some of the trails weren't well marked at all so you do need good maps and a compass, but again an organised tour will have an experienced guide. It will be hot at that time of year (hopefully) so keep filling up at any clear running rivers! I got very dehydrated on one all day walk.
    Take a look at the national park's website if you were interested in exploring that area;
    nationalpark.co.at/en/index....

1 member found this helpful

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 4:06 AM

There are normally dirt tracks to follow. However if there is a heutte on the mountain there may also be an asphalt road to it. If you don't like asphalt take the dirt track.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• by Awoodward Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Thank you so very much for your information, it sounds like a winner ! Awoodward

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Austria Travel Answer Locations