Austria Travel Answers

change location

Are 3 days enough to see Salzburg & Innsbruck?

by KClabgirl Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 12:13 PM

We are traveling to Switzerland this June but want to make a side trip to Austria esp. Salzburg and Innsbruck. We have 3 days including travel and must begin and end in Zurich. Is 3 days realistic for these two cities or should we focus on just one? Ideas?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Basaic's Profile Photo

Re: Are 3 days enough to see Salzburg & Innsbruck?

by Basaic Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM

1. days including travel time is not enough time for both towns; you would only get a small taste of each. To truly experience the towns I would only choose one (my choice would probably be Salzburg but bothe are very nice).

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM

You can easily spend a few days in Salzburg; it has a lot of history and has a fantastic old town / fortress. Hellbrunn and its water features is a great way to spend half a day, but only in the summer (hint - there is a good chance you well get wet). Innsbruck has a beautiful setting with a mountain right behind the city and really not much else that we found particularly interesting. The nearby castle, Schloss Ambras is worth a visit, but frankly I would see the ones around Salzburg instead.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM

That's funny. I'd prefer Innsbruck. You should type both into the VT search window where you can see what each has to offer. We loved the Mozart connection in Salzburg, but found Innsbruck more interesting as a town. Both are very nice.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

by Flying.Scotsman Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

There are two main issues: 1) What interests you, and 2) Time and distance. We visited Innsbruck many years ago (1972) and loved it - lots of churches, museums, beer halls and restaurants, a trip up the mountain to Hungerburg in a funicular railway, and even a touristy but very enjoyable Austrian night with traditional music and dancing. I've never been to Salzburg but believe it is a very interesting city. It has a disadvantage; it is over 300 miles from Zurich! If you add both cities to your itinerary you have to include getting into and out of Innsbruck on the way to Salzburg. I think you should restrict yourself to one city and unless you have a specific reason for favouring Salzburg, I would advise Innsbruck for practical reasons. I notice from your profile that you want to see the "high spots ... both figuratively and literally". Innsbruck and the trip to it from Zurich would allow you to see the literal high spots. It is still over l80 miles from Zurich to Innsbruck so you will see plenty of alpine scenery. Hope this information helps and enjoy your holiday. Bruce

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM

My vote goes to Salzburg, you could spend half a day exploring the "Old town" with it,s pedestrian walkway and visit Mozart,s house if that was of interest. There is a funicular up to the Fortress which has a great view all over the city. I would recommend a bus half day tour to the Salzkammergut, the lakes area. We visited several beautiful villages , nearly all on a lake, and were also able to see the inside of the Church where the wedding took place in Sound of Music. I have heard negative reports about the actual Sound of Music tour as the music is played nonstop so if you don,t fancy that - well i understand.

2 members found this helpful

• vpas's Profile Photo

by vpas Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

We spent 2 days in each place and were content. In Innsbruck we managed to take a local bus and go to a nearby town. We managed to go for a picnic and it is one of our best memories. The Austrian countryside is very beautiful. I think if you could add one more day, you could do justice to Innsbruck. The old town of Salzburg could be done in a day, it would be hectic but you could do it. Have fun,

3 members found this helpful

• Austrian_NTO's Profile Photo

by Austrian_NTO Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM

As stated in the last message I would calculate 4 days in total, in order not to be stressed. Let me give you the official websites of the local tourist offices: www.salzburg.info www.innsbruck.info (as well responsible for the surrounding villages) In Innsbruck don't miss the cable car ride to the Nordkette, at about 1800m with a spectacular view over the city: www.nordkette.com

Regards Ottavio N.

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 6:20 AM

If you were to visit Salzburg the Mirabell gardens are lovely, the old part of the city is on one bank of the river and you need to cross a pedestrian bridge and start walking up the hill towards the train station. we bought some picnic foods in a deli and had our lunch there.

• Bluedawg1968's Profile Photo

by Bluedawg1968 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I also think you should limit yourself to one city. I have never been to Innsbruck, but I definately liked Salzburg. The old town, fortress, the beautiful churches/architecture and the Mozart museum are just a few of the things to see. Not to mention the Augustiner Brau!

I also took the tour of Salzkammergut. The views are spectacular! You can see pics on my Austria page.

On another day I went on a tour to see the Eagle's Nest (if your a history buff). The views of the Alps are alone worth the trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Austria Travel Answer Locations