Australia Travel Answers

change location
RickyP7's Profile Photo

Driving in OZ!

by RickyP7 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Hi All,

my self and a friend both just over 25 are going to OZ in march starting in Melbourne! . We are looking to get a car out there and wondered if you could give me any advice regarding what to do! do we need insurance/will we find this easy to obtain being travellers?

we both have full UK driving licences and are clean (no convictions)
aged 25
looking for any type of vehicle would prefer a van - slightly larger vehicle

any help that can be given will be much apprciated! :)

kind regards

Ricky

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • margsch's Profile Photo

Re: Driving in OZ!

by margsch Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Do you mean buy a vehicle? If you do you will need insurance but for Comprehensive insurance (your own car as well as any others involved in an accident) the premiums can be steep for young drivers. However there is another much cheaper insurance called third Party Property which does not cover your car but covers any other vehicle or damage to property etc. When you register a car here the third party compulsory insurance is automatically included in this, this is for bodily injury to another person but not the driver of the at fault vehicle. If you buy a relatively inexpensive car then i would suggest the third party property cover otherwise you could be up for a ton of expense if you cause an accident.
    So the third party in with Registration is compulsory - covers medical expenses etc to a person
    third party property is just for damage to other vehicles or damage to another person,s property.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:32 AM

do you think you really need a car?

public transport is really quite good in oz

• RickyP7's Profile Photo

by RickyP7 Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM

hi thank you for the advice yes we are going to buy a car.

so just to clarify that if we buy a car and register it as long as we only want third party insurance it is automatically included?

do you know if there is anything we have to do with our licences as they are from the UK or are we ok to drive on them in OZ?

also we looked at public transport but cost wise it makes sense for us to get a vehicle as we can always sell the vehicle after our stay and make some of our money back on the vehicle. plus we believe we will enjoy the freedom that comes with a car as we all drive in the UK.

thanks again all any more help or advice will help massively

kind regards

ricky

• craic's Profile Photo

by craic Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 7:23 AM

when australia wakes up i am sure you will get more advice - it is 2-22am here in victoria

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I disagree with the guy who suggests xport is good in Oz as you definitely need a car when visiting attractions off the beaten track.. I did it by VW camper which proved invaluable as it saved hostel charged. If you arrive in Darwin it id easy to pick up a bargain as travelers are hanging around waiting to sell their car before leaving/ Other cities have big car-marts. Good to have a background in mechanics as you don't want to break down in thr middle of nowhere. Sign up with AA or equivalent over there.

by margsch Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM

The third party in with registration is for people,s injurys - not to be confused with Third Party property which is for someone else,s car or property, say you ran into someone,s fence, this would be covered.

If you bought an expensive car and wanted to insure that as well it is called Comprehensive insurance but this is a lot more expensive, if you buy a car worth less than say $6000 it simply isn,t worth it as you would probably pay $1000 a year to insure it.
      Sorry, I don,t know what the go is with the Drivers Licence.

by margsch Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

my previous answer isn,t all there - compulsory third party is in with registration and there is not a choice about paying this, it is automatic, this covers bodily injury to your passengers and any other people injured. Third party property covers someone else,s car or property of any kind, your own car is not covered. But this is what I would choose in your place as you are unlikely to buy an expensive car. Comprehensive insurance covers your own car as well but premiums are expensive, you would be looking at $1000 a year.

1 member found this helpful

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

by leon.partsi Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Hey,

since you're arriving in Melbourne I think the best bet to buy a cheap car would be to go either with www.gumtree.com.au (automobile section) or else Car City (www.carcity.com.au) and get an okay used car. Car City sell insurance right along with it, and we have a HUGE amount of insurers who won't have a problem with a UK passport. Just Google Search Melbourne Car Insurance. Brands I've heard of that are okay: Just Car Insurance AAMI (These are my insurers) You.i

You should keep in mind that car shopping in Melbourne is way more expensive than car shopping in Darwin as mentioned in the post above.

Good luck!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Australia Travel Answer Locations