Australia Travel Answers

change location

Australia in October?

by Anjulis Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Answers to my previous post have convinced me not to go to the North in December. I would still like to visit both North and South in one trip. I made reservations for the mid-October, arriving to Cairns and departing from Sydney two weeks later. Can still change them.

1. Is it a good time to catch both areas?
2. I can arrive/depart from nearly any place without paying extra miles. Would it be better for me to change the end points? Is Cairns the place to arrive if I want to spend couple of days diving on the Reef?

3. How to better organize the route? I am thinking about couple of days diving on the reef, if possible, a couple of days in Tasmania... what are the others "must not miss places"? I am interested in exotic places, that I cannot see at home, I have enough skyscrapers in NY. If go to a National Park - to which one?
For now I need to decide on flying schedule, the fine details can come later.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Australia in October?

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Well if you can fly into Cairns and fly out of Sydney I cannot see anything wrong with that.And yes October should be good...of course no one can predict unseasonal weather.

Yes you can see the reef from Cairns, Port Douglas or much further south at Airlie beach...
    There are beautiful forests around Cairns...the Daintree and lovely Palm Cove to visit. you can go on the train to Kuranda as well and there is forest there as well.

Did I give you the link to The_Downunder_Mob Group page.....heaps of ideas there.
    "Official VirtualTourist Australian Local Chapter" - The_Downunder_Mob's Profile

So around Sydney you can visit The Blue Mountains.

What are your thoughts for Tasmania...Is that part of the 2 weeks you have??

Would you want to fly from Sydney...you barely have time to think about the ferry?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Australia in October?

by Anjulis Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Thank you for the link. Will study the suggestions.

Yes, I am thinking of Tasmania as part of these 2 weeks, I am unlikely to visit Australia again soon. I don't really know anything much about it.
    I thought the only ferry to Tasmania goes from Melbourne and majority of people suggest to skip Melbourne, so I was thinking about a flight from Sydney.
    OTOH, if the best route turns out to include Melbourne, than an overnight ferry might actually save time and money vs. spending a daytime on going/from airports, etc. Would you agree?

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

by colin_bramso Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I agree with that.

Fly into Cairns, fly to Sydney, home out of Sydney. Trying to fit Tassie in would make it all a bit rushed, I would spend the time between Cairns and Sydney regions, a week in each. Around Sydney you have the Blue Mountains (certainly worth at least an overnight stay), the Royal National Park, areas such as the Central Coast/Hunter Valley.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Yes the ferry goes from Victoria but I sort of doubt you have the time if this is to be in the 2 weeks. I like Melbourne but you need a bit more time,
    Maybe you can fly from Cairns and connect to Tasmania...I would have to check on what flights there are ...someone else will prob come in who knows....but this way you save time and then come back to Sydney.
    There is heaps to see in Tasmania and there are some links on The Mob page

• stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Agree with Colin, If you want to do Tassie, you would be better to cut Sydney and do Cairns (and the reef), fly to Hobart see there, and then fly back to Melbourne to depart. Even that would be rushing it for 2 weeks. Cairns to Hobart is about a 5 1/2 hour flight. Up to you. Realistically, 2 weeks is not enough time.

Hope you enjoy your trip

STEVE

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I feel you are pushing it to take in Tasmania, beautiful though it is. Suggest if you have a week in Sydney you spend a couple of days in Canberra. you mentioned you were using airmiles if you did canberra at beginning or end of week then your right generally no additional miles one way. Going the other way you may find bus times are more convenient - ie outside sight seeing hours.

Canberra is of course the Capital of Australia and is at its most beautiful in Spring. There is so much more to see and do than just the national monuments like Parliament and Old Parliament, Museums, Art Gallery and the World class Australian War Memorial. Have at look at my Canberra page (I live there) which Im in process of building. You wont see Parliament and major attraction there yet - easily found on other VT pages. There is so much more to see.

Floriade, a fantastic spring flower festival finishes on 13 Oct to I think you will miss it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Australia Travel Answer Locations